Unitarian Chapel

southside

In the late 1880's their address would have been "north side of Pepper Alley".  Pepper Alley ran all the way from Fargate to Norfolk Street and was the only way to access the Upper Chapel.  Following building on Fargate the west end of Pepper Alley was built over.  Looking at the 1930's 1950's maps, the premises seem to have been incorporated in the the ends of 8, 10 and 12 Norfolk Row (offices). In 1911 the only occupants of 10 Norfolk Row was Bernard Haslam and his wife, he was a table knife cutler with access to 3 rooms. At 12 Norfolk Row lived Joseph Williamson and Cecilia his wife, he was a railway drayman with access to 2 rooms.  These two household may or may not have lived in the far ends of 10 and 12, or could have been above the main office buildings.

The 1896 Insurance maps give details of the buildings and their uses but unfortunately now at such a poor resolution nothing can be read ( I have asked the British Library if higher resolution copies are available).

1786763571_NorfolkRow1838.png.62cd20c5793402cd18606bf3b89348ac.png

746284240_NorfolkRow1889.png.7c4136a5122767f2708e75d4ca12a548.png

9266603_NorfolkRow1896.png.43f6a6aeabdaa70ed6eddd912f444ad4.png

2118013624_NorfolkRow1935.png.92ec7a8e8b8e2c71a0b87a7dddb0335b.png

1524172063_NorfolkRow1954.png.11454fdfaba5fbab91ec6977322ea0db.png

1 hour ago, Ponytail said:

Sheffield Photo Company quoted in the text of photographs was founded by Frank Mottershaw. In the 1901 & 1911 Census, he and his family are recorded at 95 Norfolk Street. 1924 moving the retail business to 6 Norfolk Row. For further information about Frank Mottershaw see the research done by Totley History Group. 

I was looking at the 1935 map and thinking what the hell is 'Bunk' - then I looked at the earlier map and realised it was 'Bank' and the 'a' hadn't printed fully. 🙃

10 hours ago, southside said:

Thanks for your input guy's!

I came across this virtual tour of the Chapel and surrounding area on the Upper Chapel website.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=LV2RcDRa65U&back=1

Thank you for the nostalgia trip, 12 years spent "dinner time fresh air" eating my sandwiches in the Upper Chapel courtyard whatever the weather. Notice the seats have been repositioned, "my seat" used to face the Chapel with back to the road. Days of pouring rain sheltered under the portico sitting on a plastic bag. 

Always took the opportunity to go inside on open days but never able to venture out the back. Notice the rear of No. 6 Norfolk Row in the old photos has been incorporated into the new build behind the Carmel House facade. 

On occasion, just for a nosey, used to accompany the researchers (who pestered on Fargate and Surrey Street to answer one of the many surveys) upstairs into Channing Hall and receive the free sample on offer. 

The British Library have replied - the Insurance maps are here:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=goad+sheffield&title=Special:MediaSearch&go=Go&type=image

and it's possible to download very high resolution maps.   An extract from Sheet 5 covering the Upper Chapel area is below, but not especially helpful regarding the original question.

298684910_UpperChapel1896.png.d5a075da2d90e7e31b5479104e890385.png

• Like 1

Much clearer Edmund, but unfortunately it's obviously an earlier version of the Goad map you posted originally. Might be worth visiting or contacting Local Studies to see if someone can look at their original copy and see what if anything is written on the building in question.  Fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, Ponytail said:

Much clearer Edmund, but unfortunately it's obviously an earlier version of the Goad map you posted originally. Might be worth visiting or contacting Local Studies to see if someone can look at their original copy and see what if anything is written on the building in question.  Fingers crossed. 

Apologies, the plans are all jumbled up, need better checking to get the right year.  More info on this version:

1837031035_UpperChapel1896_2.png.a3ec3e74edef7d111dbe3066f3aa28d5.png

From 1893 Kellys: John William Northend, printer at No 8 Norfolk Row (until 1916). Premises were burgled in November 1908, "A lane runs at the back of the works dividing them from Upper Chapel yard, and from this lane the thieves gained access by breaking a window".  The 1911 Whites calls this address "Sherbrooke Chambers", also occupied by Mark Jenkinson, estate agent. In 1923 Taylor & Emmet solicitors advertised a "WAREHOUSE, situate back of Sherbrooke Chambers, Norfolk row: ground floor, second floor, and third floor"

From 1893 Kellys: Leadbeater Brothers, whitesmiths in Court 1, 6B Norfolk Row.  Charles Leadbeater's whitesmith premises there were broken into in 1858. Leadbeater's were still there in 1901 (White's Directory).

Fascinating information. Hadn't realised how long Mark Jenkinson had been there. Seems Pepper Alley is  demoted to "a lane" Can't remember what the yellow shading on a property meant. Would be interested to know who was the business "photo" at No. 6. and of course the "Gas Eng" at No. 8. 

Thank you SteveHB, answering my question about No. 6 and 8 Norfolk Row you also revealed an office of Badger, Rhodes & Co I wasn't aware of. They originated in Rotherham from his grandfather, Thomas Badger who had offices in Bank Street and in High Street Rotherham, he was also the coroner for a number of years. Thomas Wright Badger and his partner, brother in law Frederick Parker Rhodes came to a sticky end. Thomas absconded August 1882 owing a substantial amount of money, deserting his new wife and baby leaving his brother in law and the Badger family to sort out a sorry mess. No doubt the premises on Norfolk Row would have been quickly closed. 

Goad maps..Shading of buildings

Pink... brick stone or concrete

Yellow... Wooden buildings

Blue... Skylight 1-2 storey buildings

Purple... Skylights on higher buildings

Grey... Metal buildings