Park District

southside

It's the first time I've seen the film footage taken in Crookes Valley Park (1:32:00) didn't know they did motorboat ride's! The kids are having a great time. Can anyone tell me if the motorboat was a privately owned enterprise?

Crookes Valley Park: Bing Maps

Screenshot_2022-10-12-10-21-52-735.jpeg

On 11/10/2022 at 10:03, southside said:

There's some great footage of Sheffield and the Park District area of the City in this film about slum clearance in the 1950s

Yorkshire Film Archive.    https://www.yfanefa.com/record/6581

Great is an understatement. This is the most emotional and personally historic old film I have ever seen of Sheffield. The Park district in this film synthesises all that was good and bad about pre 1960 Sheffield. The cholera memorial, Shrewsbury Hospital and so much more. My great grandmother lived in a three storey house near St Johns Church and her front windows overlooked the canal, the Victoria Station and down as far as the Corn Exchange. I spent what seemed like hours watching the city's activities, smoke and all from that viewpoint and often my reward would be a Granelli's ice cream after we walked down Broad St.  I could take you now to where the trams run  behind the station and alongside Parkhill's posh (now) flats and point out where almost every frame of this film was shot. It has been like stepping back 75 years in an instant. Thank you to all concerned  (PS My book of short stories Tramway Tales on Kindle Books (97 pence) has a dramatic account of a runaway tram ride down Duke Street). .