Northern General Workhouse Records

BMJ214

I’m trying to find more information on my grandmas mum.

Maggie Anderson (Also known as Margate / Margaret / Margrete) Anderson. She didn’t marry and had both children in the workhouse. Are there any records?

B 02.03.1899 D 29.02.1972

She had two Children… 

Stanley

B 04.02.1928 D 21.12.2019

Jean

B 01.09.1929 D 21.12.2012

My Grandma (Jean) and Great Uncle did not know their father. I’ve no idea how I can find him as they didn’t know his name.? My mum doesn’t know either. Thank you.

My mum told me it was at the Northern General.  I’ve now realised it I was then known as Fir Vale Workhouse. 

First thing first...there is a tree on Ancestry that has a lot of information including a picture of Maggie...is that yours ?

If not.

Your only chance is to go down the DNA route....I would suggest you join Ancestry and send for the test kit for your Mum ( your father's side can come later)...it just requires spitting into a plastic tube.

It will take quite a few weeks to get the results back, in the meantime be filling in your family tree on the website....if you're new to it all post any queries on here and there are a few of us who will help out. When the results arrive you will get a list of people who share the DNA of your Mum to one degree or another....other  Ancestry members will be showing a match, but distant. If your Gran's father had other children that are on Ancestry there will be a close match, the only problem could be if that (suspected) man had brothers...it could be a brother that was the father so you may never be certain, but at least you are closer than ever before, if he was an only son you've probably solved it... However genealogy work might give a better clue. We found out through DNA that my Mum's Grandfather fathered two children to different women at the same time, electoral and census records show they lived on the same street...he married one girl, ( my Great Gran) the other moved a few miles away and married someone else. I am now in touch with that side.

One thing to consider is that Stanley & Jean may have had different father's, it may be that Stanley's descendants need a test of their own.

• Thanks 1

I  assume you dont have her birth certificate. The  GRO reference for Jean's is 1929 September quarter Sheffield 9 c 867. You can buy the certificate form the General register Office website

• Thanks 1

Hi thank you I ordered one earlier. I’ve asked my mum to look for her birth certificate but no luck yet. I’m afraid her father may be “unknown”

8 hours ago, Sadbrewer said:

First thing first...there is a tree on Ancestry that has a lot of information including a picture of Maggie...is that yours ?

If not.

Your only chance is to go down the DNA route....I would suggest you join Ancestry and send for the test kit for your Mum ( your father's side can come later)...it just requires spitting into a plastic tube.

It will take quite a few weeks to get the results back, in the meantime be filling in your family tree on the website....if you're new to it all post any queries on here and there are a few of us who will help out. When the results arrive you will get a list of people who share the DNA of your Mum to one degree or another....other  Ancestry members will be showing a match, but distant. If your Gran's father had other children that are on Ancestry there will be a close match, the only problem could be if that (suspected) man had brothers...it could be a brother that was the father so you may never be certain, but at least you are closer than ever before, if he was an only son you've probably solved it... However genealogy work might give a better clue. We found out through DNA that my Mum's Grandfather fathered two children to different women at the same time, electoral and census records show they lived on the same street...he married one girl, ( my Great Gran) the other moved a few miles away and married someone else. I am now in touch with that side.

One thing to consider is that Stanley & Jean may have had different father's, it may be that Stanley's descendants need a test of their own.

Unfortunately Stan had no children. Their father was never spoken about. My mum wishes she had asked more but they didn’t like to comment. There is no one else left now to ask.

Hi,

I think you and my wife might be related. Maggie Anderson was the daughter of Thomas Anderson (1853-1933) and Jane Parsons (1863-1915). Thomas Anderson was my wife's great-grandfather. Maggie was his sister and was your great grandmother so Thomas was your great great grandfather which makes you and my wife 2nd cousins once removed.

I don't have a lot of information about Maggie. She was born on 2nd March 1899 and baptised in St George's Church, Brook Hill, on 26th March 1899. In 1911 she was living with her parents at 15 Leicester Street, Netherthorpe. 

In 1939 she was living with her brother, Richard Anderson at 9 Galsworthy Road. Also living with her was her daughter Jean, born 1st September 1929. The 1939 register shows that Jean's married name Swindell has been written on the register. This is because the 1939 register was subsequently used when the NHS was being set up and actually used for many years after the war so there are a lot of handwritten amendments.

I don't have any information about the father of Maggie's children. According to the records Maggie died in the Northern General Hospital and was buried in City Road Cemetery on 03/03/1972. Her grave is number 3294 Section F and is buried with her brother, Frederick, sister Naomi and brother-in-law Frederick Machin.

If there is no father on the birth certificates then your only possiblbe route would be a DNA test but that still might not reveal who Jean's father was. If you want any more help then send me a DM.

Regards

Ewan

• Thanks 1

Hi I cannot send a message yet. I think I’m too new. If you have access to Ancestry I have a family tree on there. Hopefully your wife might be on there if I’ve done it correctly. I’m new to this. I’m hoping I’ve actually got the correct people in my tree. 

AD3C8682-383C-4A2A-9291-2495790F8FA8.png

8E7CA1F1-58F2-4B31-AA04-3397A1238DF9.png

All the eateries there are from me. They may not be correct. Also I’m not sure if Geo and George. John and Jonathan. John Joseph and John  and James and Jno are the same people. I’m so confused.?

On the 1939 Census did you also notice a Harry Cooper living with them at 9 Galsworthy Road or did I miss read that? I’ve been wondering who he is for a couple of weeks. He also lived with her at 9 Herries Road and 19 Ladysmith Avenue the same year. I have a date of birth 13.05.1913 and death a week later. I’ve found another Harry Cooper living with Maggie. Same date of birth but he died in 1972. 

Maggie also lived at 267 Langsett Road age 6 with Elizabeth and Bella Todd. I cannot find them on my tree but it states Maggie as Elizabeth’s niece. I have Maggie living with her parents before and after this. I’m unsure who they are. 

Sorry for all of the questions. 

There was an infirmary part to the Workhouse but nothing in the way of records exist. The only records that could exist is if she was kept in the workhouse and once the children were 3 they would have gone into the onsite homes belonging to the Workhouse. They would have been documented then.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/research/Workhouses Study Guide v1-3.pdf

• Thanks 1