BADGE

johnm

Hi, I found this badge among things I think came from my grandad born 1884 & died 1957.  I am not certain but suspect it may have had something to do with church eg Christian Endeavour or some similar group. Anyone know what it is please>

Thanks, John

unknown badge.jpg

I've no informed idea, but as a guess, could it have anything to do with a union or Labour movement?  My only reasoning is the red flames. Did your grandad belong to any organization like that, or work somewhere with an affiliation?

I Googled for images of Christian Endeavour badges, as you have probably already done, and the majority of results had 'CE' on them and blue/gold colours.

It might be more of a US thing, but crossed bugles can be associated with firefighters, which would also fit with flames. 

Looks like a House badge from the Abbeydale Boys Grammar School, there were four houses, York , Peveril, Conisborough, and Richmond, the torches are a symbol of learning. The school motto was 'Aun Apprendo' these words appeared under the blazer pocket badge.

After reading Richard's comment, I searched for an image of the school crest and found this, which is from 1959 (i.e. after 1957, when JohnM's grandad died).  Perhaps a similar design was used by a previous incarnation of the school?

image.png.3928ad8080004017db3c7be128486955.png

The lapel badges being worn in old school photos are too small to zoom in on.

Wasn’t the badge originally that of Nether Edge Grammar School for boys which closed in 1958 to be replaced by Abbeydale Grammar ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

Wasn’t the badge originally that of Nether Edge Grammar School for boys which closed in 1958 to be replaced by Abbeydale Grammar ?

image.png.fcdedbfb040b4843f9ff1bd539365c96.png

This is on eBay at the moment, if anyone has £40 burning a hole in their pocket.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's help. Certainly, it appears to have something to do with education. However, I am sure the badge is early 20th century & I don't have anyone in the previous 2 generations of my family who would have gone to grammar school.  So, it's probably going to remain a mystery! Thanks again, John   

This is a puzzle that I ought to be able to answer as I was there on the first day at Abbeydale Grammar, part of the new First Year.  I am almost certain that we are looking at a House badge for Richmond.    The houses were Conisborough (green), Peveril (blue), Richmond (red) and York (yellow).    The only other place I recall seeing the badge used was on blazers and caps - yes, we had those, but few wore their caps beyond the first year.   The blazer badge was the same colour for all boys.    House colours only became significant for games and defined the colour of your shirt.   Mine was green.    Unlike schools of today where houses are awarded points for attendance, good behaviour and things of that ilk, grammar schools of that time put a lot of emphasis on sport and the competition between houses was very strong.    Apart from being Head Boy, the most sought-after annual award was Victor Ludorum given to the most outstanding all-rounder in football, cricket and field and track events.   

But why would a gentleman born in 1884 have an Abbeydale Grammar School badge?  He died two years prior to it opening and in any case would have been 74 at the time Abbeydale opened, a bit old for the first year!  Would the Nether Edge Grammar School for boys suggestion not be more likely?

I think Nether Edge is likely but, after all., Abbeydale replaced the old school. My Grandfather, who died in 1961 aged 70 had a Firth Park metal cap badge dated, presumably ,from the early days of the schools foundation in 1918 amongst his possessions….and neither of his children ever went there.

Talking of Grammar Schools emphasis on sports and games ,I wonder how many remember the Triangular Games held ,annually,between…Firth Park, Nether Edge/ Abbeydale and High Storrs Grammar Schools….a major event for those who had finished their O levels and were kicking their heels until they could leave school and start the world of work?