Charles Street new build

tozzin

Has anyone seen the new building on Charles Street , facing Pinstone Street ? It’s totally out of place it doesn’t compliment the Edwardian building in front of it or is it the back, how planners rubber stamp buildings like this is beyond me.

6CF57697-E92C-463E-A0E4-FB666BF47AF5.jpeg

Planners have strict rules to observe. Rejection of a scheme often means an expensive appeal ….losing costs the Council financial resources it can ill afford. Providing a scheme meets planning regulations it should be approved. Aesthetics do not seem to count unless the development is in a scheduled area.

In the original plans for Heart of the City, wasn't the building earmarked for demolition? After protests it was I believe agreed to incorporate the facade into a new build. So the choice is.... Lose the building entirely or.... Personally can't say I like it.... but that's just my opinion. No doubt some people will disagree. 

The blurb for it says it was originally built 1904 -5, the building is completely reimagined......high quality contemporary workspace with prime retail and leisure space at ground floor. Behind the attractively restored Victorian facade. 

10 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

In the original plans for Heart of the City, wasn't the building earmarked for demolition? After protests it was I believe agreed to incorporate the facade into a new build. So the choice is.... Loose the building entirely or.... Personally can't say I like it.... but that's just my opinion. No doubt some people will disagree. 

The blurb for it says it was originally built 1904 -5, the building is completely reimagined......high quality contemporary workspace with prime retail and leisure space at ground floor. Behind the attractively restored Victorian facade. 

It’s not Victorian it’s Edwardian, she died in 1901.

2 hours ago, tozzin said:

Has anyone seen the new building on Charles Street , facing Pinstone Street ? It’s totally out of place it doesn’t compliment the Edwardian building in front of it or is it the back, how planners rubber stamp buildings like this is beyond me.

Grosvenor House Hotel didn't either 🙂

There is a difference, Grosvenor House Hotel wasn't built on to the "Pepper Pot" building. At least the facade has been saved to compliment other buildings on Pinstone Street.... unless of course there are other plans for those buildings. 

How many more STACK-BLOCK rubbish buildings are they going to allow to be put up? 

They are BORINGLY BLAND, FEATURELESS, CHARACTERLESS towers of glass, metal & concrete.

Sheffield City can't possibly warrant so many offices! especially now so many folks are working from home.

There has to be some 'money making' for the Council behind it.

8 hours ago, Ponytail said:

There is a difference, Grosvenor House Hotel wasn't built on to the "Pepper Pot" building. At least the facade has been saved to compliment other buildings on Pinstone Street.... unless of course there are other plans for those buildings. 

I think you have in mind the Salvation Army built block , I truly admire that building but I have a nagging fear that sooner or later we will loose it.

Back in those happy days of the 1960s when Sheffield was something of a boom town ,it was pointed out that we had insufficient modern office space if we were to compete with the likes of Leeds. We were very slow in meeting that need…Leeds advanced ,becoming the regional centre and Sheffield ,arguably ,is still trying to re invent itself.