Coats of Arms on City Hall

Andrew

I'm sure that they have been there for years, but I have only just noticed two coats of arms on the west side of the City Hall.

They both seem to allude to the Royal Coat of Arms  - but are not. I can pickout lions, unicorns, dragons, harp, thistle, ER etc but neither is the royal Coat of Arms - and who is MR?

I can find nothing in Pevsner, Wikiwhatnot, the web. I'm sure it's obvious.

Thanks

coa 1.jpg

coa 2.jpg

The two unicorns and red lion one might be a reference to Mary Queen of Scots, hence MR. It is generally like a coat of arms of Scotland (I am no expert) and there are a couple other things that suggest Scotland such as a white cross of St Andrew and a thistle.

There is a similar coat of arms on here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Queen_of_Scots

Does anybody know the reason why these coat of arms were chosen. Mary Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I seem strange to appear together on a  building that has no connection to either of them. 

Wasn’t Mary imprisoned, for years ,in Sheffield under the care of the countries then richest man…the Earl of Shrewsbury in Sheffield Castle and Manor House? As for Elizabeth ,I have no suggestion other than that it was she who ordered Mary to be imprisoned and later executed.

The answer given by the newspapers in 1932 to the question, was that the initials referred to the infant Princess Elizabeth (now our Queen) and Princess Mary (daughter of George V).

Thank you for your replies - there are some interesting theories but my preference is for Edmund's. Ties in with the opening date. Who opened it?

ER - Elizabeth "Regina" - not in 1932 ... MR - Mary d. of George V was never "Regina" - How about Margaret Rose? But that doesn't fit with Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.

We're approaching the answer but I'm not sure that we have got there yet.

9Doing a bit of searching, sorry not sure how to do the link. There is an article in The Star dated 12 May 2021. David Templeman of Friends of Manor Lodge and colleague John Clark recounts the architect E Vincent Harris had the idea as a joke. As they never met in life he thought if their ghosts ever came to Sheffield having separate doors would be a way of keeping them apart. Queen Elizabeth I door on the left and Mary Queen of Scots on the right and a smaller door between them with the coat of arms of the Earl of Shrewsbury, who was given the task of "imprisoning" Mary. His door has an arrow slot to keep them apart just in case. 

Seems a very elaborate and expensive joke. 

The "answer" given in 1932 seems to be inaccurate guesswork on the part of the editor of the Telegraph.  In the Telegraph's Supplement detailing the opening of the City Hall dated 22nd September, the west door is described as having the coats of arms of Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots and the Earl of Shrewsbury carved in stone and gilded.  In addition these coats of arms are to be found in lunettes (half moon shaped areas) in the corridor surrounding the Oval Hall.

1 minute ago, Edmund said:

The "answer" given in 1932 seems to be inaccurate guesswork on the part of the editor of the Telegraph.  In the Telegraph's Supplement detailing the opening of the City Hall dated 22nd September, the west door is described as having the coats of arms of Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots and the Earl of Shrewsbury carved in stone and gilded.  In addition these coats of arms are to be found in lunettes (half moon shaped areas) in the corridor surrounding the Oval Hall.

Just shows you can go into a building for years and never notice some things. Need to be more aware. 😂