What is going off here?

SteveHB

An image that had puzzled me for a while,  I thought it was in the area of the Cathedral looking on to Church Street, wasn't aware that Cole Brothers had premises on Norfolk Street.

Thanks

It fooled me as well, searching for the image first as Fargate and 1900 keywords for Picture Sheffield. Knew I'd seen the photo before. Tried it with Cole Brothers but it probably wasn't distinctive enough to be a keyword. Tried a few events it could have been, then put in keywords... foundation stone laying and 1900 and hey presto. When searching and you don't know the street, study the picture for a shop/business, anything distinctive. Keywords are under headings eg Events and Disasters, Street Furniture (particularly if its a distinctive feature), Businesses, Costume, Crowds, Meetings etc. Must admit Picture Sheffield has changed a lot. There were many 1960's photographs that were originally on there but had to be taken off through a dispute over copyright. If anybody is looking for a street that isn't featured on the Internet site it may be worth contacting Local Studies to see if a 60's photo does exist.