Little chapel on Penistone Road

Stunmon

Am I right in remembering a little chapel which was near the then roundabout on Penistone Road across from the now Burger Kind (end of Leppings Lane?)

There is a steel works on the site of the chapel now.

Does anyone have any details of it?

"30 November 1980 - The last service was held at Wadsley Bridge Methodist Church, hit by financial problems and dwindling attendances"

I seem to remember that all the surrounding houses had been demolished just leaving the chapel? Anyone remember? Perhaps there is noone as old as me. Ha ha!!!!

I can't remember the chapel but I do remember going with my Mum to one of the houses to the right of the chapel (as you look at it from the road) to pay the rates.

Hi Welney Don't know when the houses were demolished.? This clip is from the 1957 Kellys street guide.

I remember paying the rates on my first house(built 1902) to a lady a couple of streets away, it always made me wonder! how did this old Lady become the leaseholder of our house.

Penistone Road.jpg

Penistone Road North.jpg

On 23/08/2022 at 19:20, Stunmon said:

I seem to remember that all the surrounding houses had been demolished just leaving the chapel? Anyone remember? Perhaps there is noone as old as me. Ha ha!!!!

These buildings look old to me, and from what I can work out, the" Little Chapel"  would have stood directly over the wall to the right side of those houses/buildings.
 Are we talking about the same area?

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 16-10-44 Google Maps.png

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/

That is how I remember the location of the chapel. Eventually all the houses were demolished just leaving the chapel which was a little way behind the houses. Thankyou to you all!!!!

On 26/08/2022 at 14:11, Stunmon said:

That is how I remember the location of the chapel. Eventually all the houses were demolished just leaving the chapel which was a little way behind the houses. Thankyou to you all!!!!

But as has been pointed out, some of the houses that were there then are still there now (#49 for example) so it doesn't seem like there was a time when the chapel stood completely on its own.   The houses to the right of the chapel as you looked at it still appear on maps dated 1970, but have gone by 1978.