Park Station & Goods

Paolo Coopio

1 hour ago, History dude said:

Paolo you mentioned in the video about doing a video on Victoria Station. I have a collection of images relating to the station on my Pinterest site. Feel free to use any if you want.

Victoria Station Pinterest

Ahhh that is brilliant. Thank you very much. Massively appreciated.

18 hours ago, History dude said:

Paolo you mentioned in the video about doing a video on Victoria Station. I have a collection of images relating to the station on my Pinterest site. Feel free to use any if you want.

Victoria Station Pinterest

I really really love this station

My maternal great grandfather Joseph William Dennis (1884-1956) started his working life as a railway wagon greaser then 'promoted' to porter at the goods yard mentioned above.

He must have learned something whilst working there as in later life he had his own haulage business which my grandfather (Kenneth William Dennis 1912-1982) also worked at. The business was eventually sold to of all people, the Guinness family. Why they should want a Sheffield haulage company I'll never know.

Great to see the video & still photos, thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Jay.

It's not the one I thought it would be.

When, as a boy, I used to catch the 102 from Gleadless into Pond Street, it went down Arbourthorne Hill, past Br*m*ll L*ne "football" ground and then, more or less as it went past Kenning's garage approaching the Midland Station, there was a railway goods yard on the right. I remember seeing "mechanical horses" parked there. What was that one?

That would be Queen's Road Goods Yard. There was another Goods Yard for the Midland - Pond Street Goods. That was located where the British Rail Headquarters building stood.  There's a picture of that below:

Midland Station, Sheffield, Goods yard 1926 _ Britain From Above.jpg

• Like 1