How well do you remember the Redgates shop?

Sheffield History

I remember Redgates very well; it was a great place for us when we were kids! For me it was the Scalextric sets and Airfix plane model kits and little plastic figures of soldiers, cowboys etc, some of which I still have. I suppose later ToysRus became the new 'go to' store for toys and perhaps Beatties for models, later.

Remember it so well, they always had so much stock and seperate sections for toys like Airfix, Action Man, Scalextric. It was like an Aladdin's cave of toys. Always a special treat to visit Redgates

We were regular visitors to Redgates - in fact, our very first computer came from there too (a VIC 20 if I recall rightly lol). The shop pictured was the last shop they had - they had previously been round the corner on The Moor and their name was worked in with tiny mosaic tiles on the entrance floor to the shop. 

1 hour ago, Stenner said:

We were regular visitors to Redgates - in fact, our very first computer came from there too (a VIC 20 if I recall rightly lol). The shop pictured was the last shop they had - they had previously been round the corner on The Moor and their name was worked in with tiny mosaic tiles on the entrance floor to the shop. 

Wow, a VIC 20 - that was my first computer too. Knew Redgates was originally on the Moor but don't remember it there. Stopped going there for models and Hornby when Beatties opened.

• Like 1

I have very fond memories of Redgates.

Back in the 1970's when my father worked for the Star it was decided by someone that the children of some of the staff did a special edition of the Junior Star. Long story short, the girls (including 2 of my sisters) did a 'fashion shoot' in some boutique in town (and got to keep the outfits they modelled) while us boys tested out the latest bicycles on Redgates roof. Mine was a Raleigh sports model if memory serves.

We were all photographed doing our respective 'thing' and did write ups on our experiences which went into the next edition of Junior Star.

Once I heard the girls were to keep their outfits I queried if us boys could keep the cycles we tested....I was firmly told no!

Another thing, I used to go in Redgates at weekends and read all the Beano, Dandy etc annuals....all for free ;-)

Happy days.

• Like 1

I've still got the Mamod SE2 steam engine that Dad got me for one birthday.  I think it cost about £5, and he moaned about how expensive toys were getting.

I remember the first Redgates in the 50s. I got one of my first “diesel” engine there an AM15, which I installed into my first Kraft model aircraft kit made out of balsa wood and covered in tissue paper and then “doped” with cellulose paint. I was into control line flying, which involved a hand held device with very thin wires that linked to the wing of your model. You needed a helper to assist in launching once you got the compression engine firing that turned a propeller. Getting the compression engine to fire and continue needed a lot of effort to flick the propeller to get the correct fuel/air mixture and the right compression via a screw  in the cylinder head, as you flicked the propeller to fire the engine and to continue firing. Once launched you had to turn in a cycle with you at the centre as you flew the plane round and round until the fuel (ether and oil mix) ran out. You could pilot the plane via the two wires which entered the wing tip nearest to you, which in turn connected to a bell crank that pivoted in the centre of the Model, with another link to the flaps, hinged at the back. This enabled complete control of the model as you manoeuvred up and down,.

Exceedingly difficult to define control line flying, but there was quite a number us that enjoyed the hobby. Whitely Woods recreation ground was one area until the Council had local houses lobbying in to be banned - noise etc, caused by out of area people using the ground early Sunday morning. Thankfully a local farmer gave us permission to use Thrift House fields.

Very happy memories of the first Redgates - crafts etc were downstairs.

This was all before the later shop was built more towards the former location of the huge Victoria monument which was removed to enable the Cross Roads adjoining the second shop to be created.

Also frequented Hobby’s shop near the Prudential Building overlooking the Peace Gardens (St Paul’s Parade I think)

Sorry it’s so long winded, happy times when I grew up in Sheffield. I use to travel on the top deck of the bus on my way to School on Leopald  Street (late Central Technical School CTS) and saw the transformation of the Moor. Behind the boards was the evidence of the destruction suffered during The Blitz. Long before the redevelopment of the central area of Sheffield.

Very fond memories of early life in Sheffield. Some years ago stayed in he Leopald  Hotel, which incorporated large parts of the old school, as ex pupil I was given a behind the scenes tour. Saw lots of former Paul’s photographs on the walls, including the Silver Band in which I played Soprano Cornet alongside our music teacher. Brilliant experience p, reliving happy memories.