JYC Silver, mother of pearl fruit knife identification

Soup

Hello All,

Not too long ago my father and I were sorting through some of my grandfather's possessions after he had passed. We were sorting through one box of assorted items and my father pulled out a small fruit knife which looked as though it had seen better days, which he then offered to me. I realised this was silver and decided to give it a bit of a polish and it has actually cleaned up quite nicely.

I am hoping that somebody here may be able to help me confirm the date of this in order to understand its origin a bit more. We live in Australia, and our family lineage has been born in Australia since the turn of the last century, where we have some relatives who made there way out here. It is possible this was brought over, however could also have been purchased in Australia. Understanding the manufacture date of this knife will help us to place its origins and who in our family may have first come to own this.

From the stamping, and the stamping chart I have attached, I believe it was manufactured between 1894 and 1913 as there are some markings which match the letter marking on the blade. However, to my untrained eye, none of the markings in this chart completely match this marking and I was hoping, and would greatly appreciate if anybody would be able to shed some light on to this for us.

20220605_161132.jpg

20220605_161147.jpg

20220605_161151.jpg

20220605_161154_1.jpg

20220605_161209.jpg

20220605_161217.jpg

cf5d8e29ef021a1826d7e37c434aa349.jpg

If you do a search on this site there is a huge amount of information about John Yeomans Cowlishaw available.

Hello "Soup", the stylised date letter on your fruit knife Is the lower case "v" for the year 1913, the year before the start of WWI. This date is possibly confirmed with the information that "J.Y.Cowlishaw" used 2 slightly different  maker's marks, one without stops between the letters and one with stops. We see yours is the one with stops and that mark has only been noted on his silver items assayed after 1908. At that time the "Cowlishaw" business was being run by his son. The website "www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk" gives this information.
Kalfred