Sheffield City Centre is changing rapidly around the John Lewis store area

Sheffield History

I haven ventured into Town in a couple of years…parts are now , seemingly,just a building site. 

I found that in the last seventy years the city has been a building site, some good projects and some just down right terrible, my own view as the saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Building has never stopped since the war ended in 1945.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

I haven ventured into Town in a couple of years…parts are now , seemingly,just a building site. 

I always think that's a great thing
When you see building or roadworks taking place all over a city that means it's on the way to positive change usually which is great!

Well it's nice to know that concrete and building brick firms and scaffolding contracts are making lots of money! The question is who's paying for it when most people can't afford to turn on the central heating?

I did see that on one of the property sites that the big store Debenhams was up for sale for 4.5 million, so I wonder what the other big stores they are altering fetched?

6 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

I always think that's a great thing
When you see building or roadworks taking place all over a city that means it's on the way to positive change usually which is great!

The only changes I’ve seen are the loss of the old Victorian buildings on Pinstone Street, the Cambridge Arcade, plus the Sheffield Club I could go on but just take a step back to see just what’s replaced these mentioned and what’s replaced our cracking old firms, we saw the closure of the Rag ‘n Tag and what replaced it ? a car park which was in use for years and as for the buildings and roadworks all over the place, the buildings that have shot up do not blend or look pleasing to the eye, just look how the Old Queens Head is drowning by the buildings that dominate it, the roadworks are really a joke, a ten minute drive to get to a road that you can walk to in three minutes.

On 15/05/2022 at 10:18, Sheffield History said:

Have not lived in Sheffield since the 1970's with occasional visits since - having great difficulty working out where the car is travelling on the video