Buses demonstrated to STD (prior to SYPTE era)

Peter Hall

With Leyland Nationals being topicaI this year some more delving has taken place regarding those demonstrated to STD in 1973.  I previously made the following posts in the Comparitive Trials 1978 topic.

Hopefully I'll be able to add more about the 'Leyland National' demonstratos in Sheffield once more record checking has taken place.  Prior though to the deivery of the first four to SYPTE in April 1974 (1-4 YWJ 101-104M)  which had been ordered by STD one of the pre-production demonstrators had been trialed in Sheffield.  This was probably FRM 499K which carried a livery similar to that in the publicity picture.  Also, I understand one of the early deliveries to SELNEC and one of the early deliveries to East Midland were also in Sheffield for evaluation by STD.  The demonstrator and East Midland examples were 11 metre examples whilst the SELNEC one borrowed was probably 10 metre.  The early SYPTE deliveries were all of the shortter version, as was  the ex domonstrator (5 later 95 RRM 128M) acquired in December 1975.

Can anyone confirm the identities or have pictures of those trialed by STD c1973?

Just realised that there had been an earlier topic about STD Leyland Nationals .  This though doesn't really help much in establishing the identities of those trialed by STD.  EX31 - TXJ 508K is though suggested as the SELNEC example.  Quite possible, this though was an 11 metre example and I'm sure I've either read or been told the SELNEC example was 10 metre. EX38-41 - VVM 601-604L delivered in May 1973 are probable as other than those only Aberdeen had then taken delivery of 10 metre examples.  EX40 was the one displayed at the Transpo 73 exhibition in Manchester that month - anyone on here go?

Now established that it was indeed FRM 499K that was the Leyland National demonstrater evaluated by Sheffield TD.  The SELNEC example was VVM 602L as suspected and that from Eat Midland was likely to have been from the OVO 557 - 562L batch.  Pictures of the first two in use in Sheffield have been traced.

Mention was made in the Comparitive Trials 1978 topic of a Seddon being demonstrated in Sheffield by "littlemalc",

The mention of the Seddon, it was certainly tried, but I can very well remember problems with the brakes on the hilly 51 route, it did not last very long at all.

"Madannie77",

Was the Seddon used on the 51 a single decker, tested in the late 60s/early 70s when the AEC Swifts were introduced onto the route. One source I ahve also mentions a Bristol RE being trialled as well.

"littlemalc"

Yes, the Seddon was a single decker, it was a great disapointment, surprising really as they have a good track record in the field of lorry making

and "Madannie77"

"I can't find any photos of the various demonstrators in Sheffield. The two single deckers I am aware of as having operated in Sheffield, both in summer 1969, are Bristol RELL LAE 770E and Seddon RU TBU 598G

Current research by the curator of the Tinker Lane Transport Library into buses demonstrated to STD has revealed that several other single deckers were evalated between 1965 and 1973.  The only picture of one in use on the 51 so far traced is of Daimler Fleetline SRG6-36 SDU 930G

Other single deckers evaluated were AEC Swift FGW 498C with Willowbrook bodywork,  Daimler Fleetline SRG6LX JJX 371G with Willowbrook bodywork, Scania BR110MH VWD 452H with Scania/MCW bodywork, Ford R192 GTW 185H with Plaxton 'Derwent' bodywork and a Mercedes 0305 City Bus.  This latter vehicle may have been registered MA-LY 618, if so, was probably left had drive.  No other pictures of these in Sheffield have yet emerged. 

Photos and further recollections etc welcomed.

Also from the Comparitive Trails 1978 but actually very much associated with the STD era was this from littlemalc

While on the subject of electric buses, does anyone know the fate of the little Morrisons electric bus which was stored at the old paint shop off Rutland Rd?

and this from transit edited

....there was actually 2 buses purchased [by SYPTE], which became no's 1000 & 1001 . Heres a ... pic of 1000 in the orange with cream front panel livery when first purchased. I remember it had a red "lightening" flash and "electric" wording on the front panel.

image.png.30b81835c01b1b0be12621419f3c29fd.png

This picture I believe was taken in the late summer of 1972 when CWO 516K that was later acquired by SYPTE and numbered 1000 was being evaluated by STD.  Another picture taken at this time can be seen in the SYTT collection.  Cananyone recall travelling on this bus on the City Clipper?