Tell me something amazing about the history of Crookes

Sheffield History

Just up from Wesley Hall, by the wall separating the property of the flats, used to be a small apex roof building.

Latterly a little shop, though I believe it may have been a Butchers for many years. I have found indication that

it was previously known as a Slaughter House, although I can find NO written evidence to prove this. There were

3 other buildings attached to the rear forming a row, and there was gated land to the upper side of the building.

It would be interesting to know the true History of this small but noticeable place. It was there at least from

the 1880s, and was still there 1960s. I haven't been able to determine when it was demolished, but my guess is

when they were clearing the area for the flats to be built. 

16 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Just up from Wesley Hall, by the wall separating the property of the flats, used to be a small apex roof building.

Latterly a little shop, though I believe it may have been a Butchers for many years. I have found indication that

it was previously known as a Slaughter House, although I can find NO written evidence to prove this. There were

3 other buildings attached to the rear forming a row, and there was gated land to the upper side of the building.

It would be interesting to know the true History of this small but noticeable place. It was there at least from

the 1880s, and was still there 1960s. I haven't been able to determine when it was demolished, but my guess is

when they were clearing the area for the flats to be built. 

Wow - that's a cracking start!

We need some kind of additional info on this from our readers - if anyone knows please post!

Hi Heartshome,

Are the premises shown on this 1889 map?  The Wesley Hall was built in 1907 on the site of the two Crookes Mount houses.

1116390302_Crookes1889.png.f2218b8309710692f9b8462b01423f5a.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Hi Heartshome,

Are the premises shown on this 1889 map?  The Wesley Hall was built in 1907 on the site of the two Crookes Mount houses.

1116390302_Crookes1889.png.f2218b8309710692f9b8462b01423f5a.png

Yes! see where it says Court No 5. Then Pinfold the other side. It is the first building on the road edge of the 4 in the row.

I really can't see that small building being a Slaughter House! unless the other buildings in the row were attached to it.

The 1951 OS Map (on this site : SH O/S Map ) shows the building north of the pinfold as number 119 Crookes.

665361007_ButcherShop1919.png.502e283114fb25ec577659551e4ba79d.png

Whites Directory for 1911 shows Robert John Woollen, a butcher, with premises at 119 Crookes, home as 49 St Thomas' Road. In 1905 the shop was being run by George Spooner, who also had premises at 213 Spring Vale Road and 13 Spital Street.  The pinfold may have been a handy place for holding cattle prior to slaughter. In 1917 Mr Woollen was advertising for the return of a lost shearling sheep (marked W on back, red nose and neck in case anyone's seen it).

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

The 1951 OS Map (on this site : SH O/S Map ) shows the building north of the pinfold as number 119 Crookes.

665361007_ButcherShop1919.png.502e283114fb25ec577659551e4ba79d.png

Whites Directory for 1911 shows Robert John Woollen, a butcher, with premises at 119 Crookes, home as 49 St Thomas' Road. In 1905 the shop was being run by George Spooner, who also had premises at 213 Spring Vale Road and 13 Spital Street.  The pinfold may have been a handy place for holding cattle prior to slaughter. In 1917 Mr Woollen was advertising for the return of a lost shearling sheep (marked W on back, red nose and neck in case anyone's seen it).

Edmund, your brilliant! thank you for your help. I found listings for the Butchers at 119 in the directories, but it mentions nothing about a slaughter house in any of them, that's why I wasn't really convinced there was one there. It must have been the immediate  building joined on to the back of the shop. Another 'History Mystery' solved. Great!! thanks.