Sheffield Civil Defence Recruitment Film

As an HNC part time student in the 1960s at Sheffield College of Technology we spent a day with the Civil Defence at their HQ on Bridge Street…where we were introduced to radio activity .After exposure ( at a safe level we were assured) we were checked out with “dosimeters and Geiger counters”….all very real and all very frightening at a time when the Cold War threatened becoming very hot at any time..🥺

Most Sheffield Police officers in the 60s had to undertake fortnightly CD training at Bridge St, too.  We saw some frightening Govt films and it was impressed on us that it was all a very real possibility. IN 1964 I went on civil defence exercises with the Police Mobile Column at Bovington Camp. Today, on the day of the Russian invasion of Ukraine we are probably as close to it as ever. I am as worried today as I was in the Cuban missile crisis when the madman controlling the Soviets was Kruschev. The difference, it seems to me, is that there is a new danger, that of civil unrest either before or after any attack on the UK.     Will dog eat dog ?  Will it be an UN-CIVIL DEFENCE?