Old Fashioned China Cabinets

Heartshome

When I was a youngster, all the older generation that I knew, be it family, friends of Mum's, or neighbours,

all had a China Cabinet in their house. It seemed to be full of the 'Best China' ( which only came out to be used

on 'Special Occasions' ) Very pretty Ornaments. Curios! and Special Things that meant something to the owners.

I was wondering how far back the idea went, and how many people today, do the same thing.

I believe the trend for such cabinets started with the "curiosity cabinets" that started with collectors of rare items or odd things to collect. It was always necessary to have a cabinet or shelves to store ceramic plates etc as soon as people started to eat off ceramic plates. But there was nothing special about what was in or on them. Though the rich probably did store more expensive ceramics away from the standard stuff.  The early cabinets for special items would contain things that many people would not want now. Or would be seen as weird things to have. Many of the cabinets were small and they would have wooden doors not glass to hide what was in there. They also had locks for safe keeping. By the Victorian period cabinets would contain glass panels so that more ornate pottery could be displayed. However middle class and rich peoples homes had most of these items on display. If you look at paintings of the rooms they are very cluttered to modern eyes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, History dude said:

By the Victorian period cabinets would contain glass panels so that more ornate pottery could be displayed. However middle class and rich peoples homes had most of these items on display. If you look at paintings of the rooms they are very cluttered to modern eyes.  

Indeed, think of Victorian parlours and drawing-rooms and you think of clutter. Given the voluminous ladies' dresses and men's coats of that era, it's a miracle that more ornaments didn't get swept off the shelves and broken on the (then largely uncarpeted) floors.

Perhaps that was another reason for keeping one's best crockery and ornaments in a cabinet, for safety.

• Like 1

Thanks History  Dude & Athy. I always think they look nice in an older house setting, they seems to suit

the surroundings, and if I have had the chance to look inside, there were always some beautiful items. No

wonder the owners wanted to keep their 'precious things' safe. My Mum-in-law had one, in which she

had a full volume of Shakespeare's works in miniature, leather bound and very old. She also had some

stem Sherry glasses, with the bowl part black swirl glass, most unusual and very delicate. They were most

definitely kept under lock and key away from 6 Grand Children.

• Like 1