Fire Insurance Marks

Calvin72

In Edward Vickers 'A Popular History of Sheffield' he says that competing Fire Insurance brigades began being set up in Sheffield in 1807/8. These were already established elsewhere and policy holders would have a 'mark' on their buildings which meant a fire would be attended to. These are still seen quite commonly in London for example but we don't have anywhere near as many houses from the early 19th century, so the question is, Did they exist in Sheffield? and, Can we find one today?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_insurance_mark

I have a well worn battered, copper one of the Sun Insurance Office Ltd.

6 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

In Edward Vickers 'A Popular History of Sheffield' he says that competing Fire Insurance brigades began being set up in Sheffield in 1807/8. These were already established elsewhere and policy holders would have a 'mark' on their buildings which meant a fire would be attended to. These are still seen quite commonly in London for example but we don't have anywhere near as many houses from the early 19th century, so the question is, Did they exist in Sheffield? and, Can we find one today?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_insurance_mark

Not certain it's of direct relevance, but this is how the Sheffield Fire Office was branding itself on insurance documents in the 1830's.

firemk4sh.jpg.6d020ae75ccbfad7e9679dc6d59ca091.jpg

3 hours ago, neddy said:

I have a well worn battered, copper one of the Sun Insurance Office Ltd.

But were you responsible for the battering?!

20 minutes ago, leksand said:

Not certain it's of direct relevance, but this is how the Sheffield Fire Office was branding itself on insurance documents in the 1830's.

firemk4sh.jpg.6d020ae75ccbfad7e9679dc6d59ca091.jpg

But were you responsible for the battering?!

The age and weather were more likely suspects, I'm looking after what's left.