Research needed for a new book

Guest markl

Guest markl

Hello all

Firstly can I introduce myself, my name is Mark and I am a journalist. I was Sheffield born and bred but am now living out in deepest, darkest Wales where I am deputy editor on a newspaper out there.

I am currently writing my first novel, but need some help with some information. It is partly based in Sheffield, and it is the period 1939 to 1941 that I am interested in. There are a number of elements that I need help with.

1) Entertainment....particularly the dance halls and the cinemas. Which ones did people go to, what were they like, what was the atmosphere like, did people go during the early part of the war, what was it like in them when there was a raid, what sort of music was in the dances, was there live bands, if so who, what happened at them, what films can people remember, how much did these things cost, who went, how did they change as the war progressed (particularly after the Blitz) etc?

2) The Blitz itself... I would be particuarly interested to hear from anyone in Sheffield city centre on the night of the Blitz.

3) Shopping....in particular C&A Modes, what was the shop like, what did it sell, but also other shops (and also the cafes within them, what sort of food was served, again how did this change as the war went on, which were people's favourites - I have a lot of names from my gran's diaries, but they are just names, Tuckwood's, Walsh's, Davy's etc, but can anyone put any meat on the bones), also shops out of town, particularly Neepsend/Hillsborough and Ecclesall Road area?

4) Rationing.....any memories, any favourite meals that were forced by rationing, how people dealt with it, what sort of things were people eating, again how did it change as things went on?

5) Press....how did the Star/Telegraph report things, did people read it or did they rely on the wireless? If so, what programmes were people listening to, and how much news were they actually given?

6) Propaganda....any memories of the posters that would regularly appear about the place, also anyone remember the imfamous Lord Haw Haw broadcast before the Blitz. What did he say exactly?

7) Teenagers....my character is about 17 at the start of the war. Where would she shop, what sort of clothes would she wear, what sort of life would a girl of that age be having at that point in time?

This is just a snapshot, I would be delighted to hear any memories of Sheffield in the first few years of the war, as it really is a case of the more the better as far as I am concerned. Many thanks in advance to anyone who gets in touch.

Mark

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum, you'll find it's a goldmine! I wasn't born until 1945 so I can't offer you first hand help, but do you know a book called "Then and now, the Sheffield Blitz" by Alastair Lofthouse? It's full of short pieces of first hand memories of the blitz and life around the time you would find useful I'm sure. And have a good seive through the 'Sheffield at War 'Forum on here, I'm sure there's loads there (if you haven't aleady that is!) Good luck with the novel

Bayleaf

Guest markl

Thanks for that. I've seen mention of another book, Raiders over Sheffield by Mary Walton, any idea if it's any good and worth me trying to track down?

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum, you'll find it's a goldmine! I wasn't born until 1945 so I can't offer you first hand help, but do you know a book called "Then and now, the Sheffield Blitz" by Alastair Lofthouse? It's full of short pieces of first hand memories of the blitz and life around the time you would find useful I'm sure. And have a good seive through the 'Sheffield at War 'Forum on here, I'm sure there's loads there (if you haven't aleady that is!) Good luck with the novel

Bayleaf

Mary Walton's book is pretty definitive and well worth a look. It's a history though rather than personal memories. She was the chief reference librarian and her co-author was Joe Lamb who was City Librarian at the time. The Central Library was a clearing house for information on families , casualties etc and so a ready source of material. It gives a good overall picture though.

Bayleaf