Sheffield Parks

Guest Genie602

Guest Genie602

Hello,

Not sure where to post this but this photo was taken in either Endcliffe or Millhouses Park. The young boy is aged approx 14 yrs, he is my Grandfather Fred Morton who went on to become a park keeper for Endcliffe, Millhouses and Graves Park. Does anyone know if the greenhouses still exist? The photo was taken in approx 1906.

Genie602

Guest Genie602

I have brightened up the photo Genie602, hope you don't mind.

I don't mind at all SteveHB

Genie602

Hello,

Not sure where to post this but this photo was taken in either Endcliffe or Millhouses Park. The young boy is aged approx 14 yrs, he is my Grandfather Fred Morton who went on to become a park keeper for Endcliffe, Millhouses and Graves Park. Does anyone know if the greenhouses still exist? The photo was taken in approx 1906.

Genie602

Thats a great photo - are those cucumbers?. Just wondered -if they are why would they grow cucumbers in a municipal park greenhouse? Is that something they did?

Guest Genie602

Thats a great photo - are those cucumbers?. Just wondered -if they are why would they grow cucumbers in a municipal park greenhouse? Is that something they did?

Hi Dunsbyowl,

I had never really looked that close at this picture but you are right, they do look like cucumbers. Not sure why they were growing them. I would love to find out more.

Genie602

Hi Genie

I'm positive it's not Endcliffe, if that's any help, in a negative sort of way! Dunsbyowl's point makes sense. Could Fred have served an apprenticeship elsewhere before joining the Parks? There were a lot of big houses around with conservatories and glasshouses, with a staff of gardeners.

Bayleaf

Guest tsavo

Seem to remember that the Parks Department site in Ecclesall Woods had greenhouses. Anyone comfirm?

Trying to think around this one, is it possible he was at Endcliffe Hall, and not Endcliffe Park? It was built in the 1860's and had 40 acres of parkland as well as conservatories and glasshouses built using the then new method of iron ribs rising from a masonry base. It would account for growing cucumbers for the big house rather than in a park!

Guest Genie602

Trying to think around this one, is it possible he was at Endcliffe Hall, and not Endcliffe Park? It was built in the 1860's and had 40 acres of parkland as well as conservatories and glasshouses built using the then new method of iron ribs rising from a masonry base. It would account for growing cucumbers for the big house rather than in a park!

Hi Folks,

I have just been speaking to my dad again, he said that Fred did an apprenticeship for 7 years with a firm of gardeners called Ottaways/Otterways. They used to look after all the big houses around Sheffield, which is probably why he is pictured in a green house full of cucumbers! Has anyone heard of this firm, I don't think they are in business today.

Genie602

Could this be your man ? Just a thought .... Sylvester Gardens ??

or ....

both aged 9 in 1901 (from Census)

Please let me know if either are of use, I'll then chase them further if you wish.

Guest Genie602

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your interest in this topic. I already have Fred on the 1901 census, he was living at 226, Derbyshire Lane. He started his apprenticeship when he was aged 13, I believe his brother George also did an apprenticeship with Ottaways. I can't wait for the 1911 census to be released.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who has shown an interest in this topic.

Genie602

I can't wait for the 1911 census to be released.

The 1911 stuff is available now, but it's £45 per address, or, we wait.

I'm very interested in this thread and in that marvellous photograph of Fred and the cucumbers.  I have a theory that the greenhouse was not in a municipal park, but at Ottaways's Nursery on Oakdale Road, where there were 3 large glasshouses.  If I'm right, then the cucumbers would be for commercial purposes, for sale in Nether Edge and elsewhere in Sheffield.  

Any thoughts on this theory?