Druid's

RichardB

Anyone for Druids ? I couldn't eat a whole one !!!

Charles BRIDGMAN District secretary (Ancient Order of Druids) 36 Fitzwilliam Street Kelly's 1893

Charles BRIDGEMAN General Secretary to Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids 51 Trippet Lane; h. 1 Ainsty Road White's 1911

Isaac WRIGHT Secretary Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids 35 & 37 Suffolk Road White's 1919

Isaac WRIGHT General Secretary, Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids 35 & 37 Suffolk Road Kelly's 1925

Fred WHITE Local Secretary, Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids Approved Society 6 Randall Street Kelly's 1925

Frederick James SMITH Local secretary to Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids No. 308 32 Clipstone Road, Attercliffe Kelly's 1925

Guest tsavo

I seem to remember the Druids were an Insurance Company....or is this another memory lapse...?

I seem to remember the Druids were an Insurance Company....or is this another memory lapse...?

Druid's : hairy chaps, lived in the caves off Trippet Lane lol

Guest tsavo

Could be, I remember them calling at our house and money changing hands....pagan rights? :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Could be, I remember them calling at our house and money changing hands....pagan rights? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Consider also the Ancient Order of Foresters; similar memories.....

Gloomy lot and there were a lot of 'em. 51,000 in Sheffield in 1905

Gloomy lot and there were a lot of 'em. 51,000 in Sheffield in 1905

and another 6,600 young druids!

I have an old postcard showing the SHEFFIELD EQUALIZED INDEPENDENT DRUIDS at some sort of gathering - see http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/tw...w¤t=Druids.jpg. The druids are all wearing sashes of a similar shape to those worn by Orangemen, though obviously it's a very different organisation. The banner with its motto of EQUALITY TRUTH & FIDELITY features compasses, triangle and handshake motifs, suggesting something similar to freemasonry - especially as they are all men and boys. Other than that I have no idea who they were or what they did, though there is evidently a "Druids Sheffield Friendly Society". Does anyone know where the photo was taken? The windows have rather elaborate lintels which might give a clue.

Is that Lee Harvey Oswald at the upper floor window ?

Speaking of which, we're off on holiday soon, flying into Dallas - hence Lee Harvey - resting three days, recover from the flight - then driving 900 miles to South Dakota, hopefully Rushmore, then Iowa for a fortnight. The 98th Parallel, straight up middle America, not the usual tourist route - but visiting friends, meeting real people, doing "stuff".

Looking forward to it, I'll bring you all back a stick of Rock ... possibly ...

If you go via Springfield Missouri, give my regards to Route 66 - I have fond memories of a Harley-Davidson trip there in 1971. Tomorrow Mrs wadsleyite and I leave for three laptop-free weeks in South Africa.