Jones / Webb 1871 to 1901 Family Enquiry

Guest Kevin A Jones

Guest Kevin A Jones

I am currently researching my family tree and have discovered that my Great Great Grandfather and his family lived in Sheffield during the censuses which took place between 1871 and 1901 inclusive. I would love to find out more information about them, their forebears and, if possible, contact any living relatives who still reside in the Sheffield area. I'd appreciate if anyone can help me in this challenge!

My great great grandfather was Richard JONES (born ~1843 in Redditch, Worcestershire) and his wife was Ellen WEBB (born ~1842 in Studley or Alcester, Warwickshire). They lived at 65 Douglas Road, Brightside Beirlow, Yorkshire during the 4 censuses which took place between 1871 and 1901. During that time Richard Jones had various jobs including Underhand Puddler (I presume in steel manufacturing), a porter, a labourer at a silverplaters and an engineer/labourer. In this time they raised a large family, namely:

• Emma J JONES (~1866 in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire)

• William JONES (~1870 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

• Arthur JONES (~1874 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

• Ellen (aka Nellie) JONES (~1876 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

• Albert JONES (28/05/1885 at 65 Douglas Street, Brightside Bierlow, Yorkshire - He was my Great Grandfather)

• Elsie JONES (~1887 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

My Great Grandfather, Albert JONES became an apprentice fisherman in 1901 in Grimsby. It is here that he met and married his wife Mary MILNE who was a Peterhead fishgutter who was working in Lincolnshire at the time. They moved to Aberdeen, Scotland and raised a family there - including my Grandfather Albert JONES. My father was also born in Aberdeen and is yet another Albert Jones! I was born in Aberdeen and now live in Shetland.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me find more information about Richard and Ellen JONES.

Looking at Google Earth I get the impression that no houses exist anymore on Douglas Road beside Neepsend. Can anyone confirm if 65 Douglas Road still exists or not?

Regards,

Kevin Albert Jones

I am currently researching my family tree and have discovered that my Great Great Grandfather and his family lived in Sheffield during the censuses which took place between 1871 and 1901 inclusive. I would love to find out more information about them, their forebears and, if possible, contact any living relatives who still reside in the Sheffield area. I'd appreciate if anyone can help me in this challenge!

My great great grandfather was Richard JONES (born ~1843 in Redditch, Worcestershire) and his wife was Ellen WEBB (born ~1842 in Studley or Alcester, Warwickshire). They lived at 65 Douglas Road, Brightside Beirlow, Yorkshire during the 4 censuses which took place between 1871 and 1901. During that time Richard Jones had various jobs including Underhand Puddler (I presume in steel manufacturing), a porter, a labourer at a silverplaters and an engineer/labourer. In this time they raised a large family, namely:

• Emma J JONES (~1866 in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire)

• William JONES (~1870 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

• Arthur JONES (~1874 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

• Ellen (aka Nellie) JONES (~1876 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

• Albert JONES (28/05/1885 at 65 Douglas Street, Brightside Bierlow, Yorkshire - He was my Great Grandfather)

• Elsie JONES (~1887 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

My Great Grandfather, Albert JONES became an apprentice fisherman in 1901 in Grimsby. It is here that he met and married his wife Mary MILNE who was a Peterhead fishgutter who was working in Lincolnshire at the time. They moved to Aberdeen, Scotland and raised a family there - including my Grandfather Albert JONES. My father was also born in Aberdeen and is yet another Albert Jones! I was born in Aberdeen and now live in Shetland.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me find more information about Richard and Ellen JONES.

Looking at Google Earth I get the impression that no houses exist anymore on Douglas Road beside Neepsend. Can anyone confirm if 65 Douglas Road still exists or not?

Regards,

Kevin Albert Jones

65 Douglas Road was close to the junction with Vale Road, and was demolished.

1925 directory has for that section of Douglas,

49 SEDGWICK JOHN WM. BOOT R E P

51 BRUMPTON A1FD.C. ENGINE DRIVR

53 MARSHALL HERBERT, LABOURER

55 BAGNALL WILLIE, LABOURER

57 JONES ARTHUR, FETTLER

59 LISHMAN JOHN, (J) STEEL MELTER

61 GRIFFITHS ARTHUR, LOCO. FIREMAN

63 HALE WILLIAM, FIREMAN

63A, FOSTER WILLIAM HENRY, STOKR

65 BAGNALL MRS. NELLIE

65 OAKES JAS. FURNACEMAN

COURT13

[*]Ellen (aka Nellie) JONES (~1876 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

[*]Albert JONES (28/05/1885 at 65 Douglas Street, Brightside Bierlow, Yorkshire - He was my Great Grandfather)

[*]Elsie JONES (~1887 in Sheffield, Yorkshire)

Try this from 1881

JONES Richard M 36 M Head Redditch, Worcester, England Porter 65 Douglas Road Brightside Bierlow

JONES Ellen F 36 M Wife Alcester, Warwick, England Porter 65 Douglas Road Brightside Bierlow

JONES Arthur M 7 Son Sheffield, York, England Scholar 65 Douglas Road Brightside Bierlow

JONES Ellen F 5 Daur Sheffield, York, England Scholar 65 Douglas Road Brightside Bierlow

JONES Edith F 1 Daur Sheffield, York, England Scholar 65 Douglas Road Brightside Bierlow