Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Sheffield History


Anthony William Currie (born 1 January 1950) was an English football player, born in Edgware, London, who went on to play for Sheffield United, Leeds United, Queens Park Rangers and England.

Tony Currie was a talented schoolboy footballer who represented Hendon Boys before joining Queens Park Rangers as an amateur, whilst working for a building firm. He joined Chelsea as an apprentice, but was released and moved to Watford to complete his apprenticeship, earning England Youth honours in the process. He turned professional in May 1967 and made his league debut the following season.

He was transferred to Sheffield United on 1st February 1968 for £26,500. He scored for The Blades on his debut against Tottenham with a header on the 26th but missed the next game on March 2nd as it was his wedding day. 'TC' as he was nicknamed by Sheffield United fans, was idolised in his time at Bramall Lane. He was an effervescent and exuberant attacking midfield player with the vision and ability to strike long dangerous passes. He went on to score 54 goals in 313 appearances and was also made captain by manager Ken Furphy in March 1974.

During his time at United, he broke into the England team, winning the first of his 17 caps in 1972 and also playing in the dramatic World Cup qualifier against Poland, which was held at Wembley Stadium in 1973. England dominated the match, but could only draw 1-1.

In June 1976 he moved to Yorkshire rivals Leeds United for £250,000, making his Leeds debut in a 2-2 draw with West Bromwich Albion. His skills made him a firm favourite at Leeds and he played arguably the best football of his career during his 124 games and 16 goals at Elland Road; Currie earnt 11 of his 17 England caps whilst at the club. Currie's sparkling form helped Leeds reach the League Cup semi finals in 1978 and 1979, and in the 1978-79 season Leeds finished 5th to qualify for the UEFA cup. However, disputes with manager Jimmy Adamson resulted in his sale to Queens Park Rangers in August 1979.

He captained Rangers to the 1982 FA Cup final, but his career was badly affected by injuries and, after 5 goals in 81 games, he dropped out of league football and into semi-retirement from the game. He moved to Canada and spent 2 months playing for the Toronto Nationals, joining Chesham United on his return to England. He subsequently joined Southend United on non-contract terms before being persuaded by David Webb to join Torquay United in February 1984, Currie scoring once in 16 games for the Gulls.

He moved to Tranmere Rovers in October 1984, but left without appearing in their first team, leaving him with 81 goals in 528 league games. He moved into non-league football, playing for Dunstable Town, Hendon and Goole Town before being appointed Football in the Community co-ordinator at Sheffield United in February 1988, a post he still holds today.

His nephew, Darren Currie, also a midfielder, currently plays for Ipswich Town having previously played for numerous clubs including Brighton & Hove Albion, Wycombe Wanderers, Barnet and Plymouth Argyle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...