Kelham Street

andyc

Sorry, Kelham Street again.

Does anyone have any memories of Kelham Street or the old Workhouse buildings?

I know the Workhouse was demolished in the late 1940's. Not sure if Kelham Street came down at the same time.

Any info would be much appreciated. I'm struggling for information for a project I'm working on about the Workhouse.

Thanks.

Hello tsavo,

Yes already found that site but cheers anyway. I've also contacted Sheffield Archives to see if they have any info. I'm hoping to publish if I can find enough information.

You've read all The Sheffield Flood stuff ?

Hello Richard,

Yes, I've got the Workhouse claim from the flood archives thanks. I'm hoping to get enough info to produce a booklet similar to 'Sheffield in Tudor and Stuart Times'.

There's nothing else I've found online, so I'm hoping there's more down at the Archives. I didn't just want to create a list of occupants during census years etc.

It's a bonus having the OS 1849 map for KSW. (Is this the earliest OS map of Sheffield does anyone know?)

Hello Richard,

Yes, I've got the Workhouse claim from the flood archives thanks. I'm hoping to get enough info to produce a booklet similar to 'Sheffield in Tudor and Stuart Times'.

There's nothing else I've found online, so I'm hoping there's more down at the Archives. I didn't just want to create a list of occupants during census years etc.

It's a bonus having the OS 1849 map for KSW. (Is this the earliest OS map of Sheffield does anyone know?)

94) Destruction at Kelham Island .. .. ..

95) A Fire in the Flood, and Narrow Escapes at Kelham Island .. .. ..

96) A Man Loses his own Life in Attempting to Save his Pig .. .. ..

Web Page 20:

(17K) 97) The Flood at the Sheffield Workhouse. -- Interesting Incidents.. .. ..

98) Extraordinary Escape in Cotton Mill Walk .. .. ..

http://mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/shef...k/contents.html

Enjoy ...

Guest whashisface

Hi Andy

I'm currently working on a Uni project incorporating the old alms houses from the workhouse site. I was just wondering if you had any information on these?

It's an architecture project so any drawings or paintings would be particularly useful.

Thanks!

See :

Aspects of Sheffield (1) - Edited by Melvyn Jones

Chapter 10 The Sheffield Workhouse near Kelham Island by T.J. Caulton

inlcudes 59 entries in Notes and Reference.

Keep us posted on progress and the finished article please.

Welcome to the Site.