Firvale

dunsbyowl1867

20 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

viewfrombarnsley.jpg

Now that hill reminds me of the winter of 1963/4, first year at High Storrs Grammar. Two buses to get to school and it had snowed heavily in the night; over your wellington tops in the middle of the road kind of snow. 

No, school wasn't cancelled, how would they contact you, not many people had a phone.

Had trudged down Bellhouse Road to Firth Park for the bus. You know the ones with the driver in the cab and open at the back for passengers to get on. After much stamping of feet to keep warm in the still descending snow, the bus duly turned up and proceeded to head towards the City Centre.

Reaching "The Hill" it became obvious it wasn't going to be successful, a couple of cars stuck going up and another askew coming down; a bus coming the other way had paused as if "Nah, I'm not going down there!" 

Our driver got out of his cab and came onto the bus, "I'm not going any further, you'll all have to get off" 

Everybody trudged off the bus and walked the best they could in the middle of the road back home along Firth Park Road. It was a long, cold, slow trudge home. 

That was the only time I didn't get to school. 

How times have changed! I was at FPGS and we had a master living in the Hope Valley. He eventually made it to school one snowy day ,to find the few of us who had trudged to the Brushes sitting in the Gymn. After a few minutes the Deputy Head “ Duke Weatherall” advised us to go home. The poor motor cyclist looked shocked!

• Like 1

From Firth Park Terminus the alternative tram route into Town was the longer, but more interesting route for an avid train spotter ,via Attercliffe and along Brightside Lane and the engine sheds!

5 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

From Firth Park Terminus the alternative tram route into Town was the longer, but more interesting route for an avid train spotter ,via Attercliffe and along Brightside Lane and the engine sheds!

If my memory serves me correctly it was the No. 17 bus that also took you round Attercliffe.. Hence my dad's "All round Attercliffe to get to Sheffield" when you didn't get straight to the point explaining something. 

It was the 33 from Lane Top and the 75 from Firth Park terminus that took you the more direct route into Town. 

22 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

Dave died a few years ago - he & his wife lived near us in recent times.

Both Dave & Jenny were our closest friends in earlier days going away on holiday together. They both died before their time & I was privileged to be at their funerals

There were also the 150 and 151 ,if my memory serves me correctly ,which went alternatively up/down Sicey Avenue or Bellhouse Road ,then around Shiregreen Estate and finally off to Bridge Street in Town.

• Like 1