Jump to content

E M Dickinson

Recommended Posts

Any info on the above would be appreciated. They were based at 51-57 Division St, Murray Works, and in business from 1889 - 1923. Cheers.

Screenshot 2018-12-11 at 10.56.05.png

Screenshot 2018-12-11 at 10.56.54.png

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Edwin Murray Dickinson started recruiting managers for his new cutlery firm at 11 Cambridge Street in 1882, soon followed by recruitment of workers.


The original  premises ( warehouse, offices, cutlers shops with steam power) were offered to let in November 1887, and new premises at 51 Division Street were occupied early in 1888.


By October 1883 Dickinson was advertising the Division Street premises to let, ready to move into another new works (still called Murray Works) at 122  Rockingham Street.


It was probably a good location for the company close to the fire station, as they had several fires over the years


On 12th October 1901 notice was given that the firm was to be converted to a limited company:


By March 1908 the Rockingham Street works were for sale:


In 1909 the deeds for their new premises at 203 Arundel Street were deposited to secure a £3,000 loan from the Sheffield Banking Company.

On Christmas Eve 1926 several hundred pounds worth of damage was caused by a fire at the Arundel Street works. The founder, Edwin Dickinson died on 21st October 1930 aged 81 at his home at 449 Crookesmoor Road.

On 23rd May 1939 the firm went into voluntary liquidation



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now