Scotland Street Gaol

RichardB

I believe there was a Debtors Prison on Scotland Street but damned if I can find any trace of it on old maps etc. Has anyone any idea where it was please. Also I am trying to locate Court 10. Picture Sheffield has a number of piccis from which I can get an idea of its location.

Also was it known as the Irish Quarter around the end of the 19th century.

Cheers Vic

I'm not sure you'll actually find it marked on a map. It's location was across the road from Lambert Street but before the New Connexion Methodist Chapel. If that makes any kind of sense!

Thanks a million, I could not find the original posts for some reason, it came up topic not found. It does make sense now having the sight of the map and it will help with finding where Court 10 may have been in 1875.

regards

Thanks a million, I could not find the original posts for some reason, it came up topic not found. It does make sense now having the sight of the map and it will help with finding where Court 10 may have been in 1875.

regards

I merged your topic/post with this one vic0787, them both referring to the same subject Scotland Street Gaol/prison.

Location of Court 10, next to the Old Turk's Head PH (1879 directory).

Scotland Street

Wow thanks again. The reason for my search was that my grand father was born in 1875 at no 6 Court 10 and then in 1876 were shown to be living in No2.

In 1919 he was the landlord of the Old Anvil Waingate.

I believe there was a Debtors Prison on Scotland Street but damned if I can find any trace of it on old maps etc. Has anyone any idea where it was please. Also I am trying to locate Court 10. Picture Sheffield has a number of piccis from which I can get an idea of its location.

Also was it known as the Irish Quarter around the end of the 19th century.

Cheers Vic

XVIII. (post #31).

"In Fairbank's plan, 1771, Scotland street is described simply as "Scotland," and I have noticed in the indexes to the Duke of Norfolk's maps that the place is referred to simply as "Scotland." The street, then, appears to have taken its name from a portion of ground which was called Scotland.[8] This field-name is found in many other places; for instance there are places called Scotland and Scots Bank at Wedmore in Somersetshire. I might even mention Scotland Yard in London, which is a very ancient name. I think it is likely that "Scotland" here means "Irish land," especially as Scotland street and the neighbourhood of West-bar are at this very day the quarters of the so-called "Irish." The Scots, as is well known, were an Irish sept, and the old Germans regarded a "Scot" as a roving trader from Ireland.[9] It is possible that these roving traders established at an early period a settlement in Sheffield, forming a distinct class or caste. It is however possible that Scotland means "conveyed land," or land conveyed by a symbolical act."

SH link - The Hall of Waltheof, XVIII. The Unfree ”The Irish Element” "Scotland"