Jump to content

EWSCC - What Cricket Club is that?


Recommended Posts

My Grandad William Morris had the gold medalion below on his pocket watch chain.Its hsows he won the batting prize at EWSCC (ie EWS Cricket Club) for season 1902  at the age of 18. IN 191 he was working as a heating  engineer & lived at 61 Sellers Rd. Between then & 1911 he went to work at Sheffield Gas Company as a gas fitter .

Doieds anyone know please what Club EWSCC was ?

Thanks, John

img20181009_08533819.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
boginspro

Quite a mystery this one  johnm , I think even the experts on here have been stumped  by it previously ( edit, no pun intended ).  Have you any more information about your Grandad that might give more clues. Also I can't place Sellers Road, could it be Sellers Street, or if not do you know where Sellers Road is or was please?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi boginspro . .having looked at street directories  I think Sellers Rd & Sellers St are the same . In the 1901 census its down at Sellers Street & is off Aizlewood Rd but a later map shows the same as Sellers Road. It runds parallel to twon end of Abbeydale Rd .

The only possibility I have come across is that there was an Exchange Cricket Club functioning in  Sheffield at the time he won the medallion. I think it had a ground at Park Hill Lane.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about:

Ebenezer Wesleyan (Sunday) School Cricket Club (various locations)

Ellesmere (Road) Wesleyan (Sunday) School Cricket Club (Pitsmoor)

Endcliffe Wesleyan (Sunday) School Cricket Club (but only started in 1904)

I believe that all these clubs did exist, though their names were fluid.  Was Mr Morris living near any of them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
boginspro
8 hours ago, johnm said:

having looked at street directories  I think Sellers Rd & Sellers St are the same . In the 1901 census its down at Sellers Street & is off Aizlewood Rd but a later map shows the same as Sellers Road. It runs parallel to to end of Abbeydale Rd .

Thanks  johnm ,   I could only find it referred to as Sellers Street. I knew the area quite well many years ago having lived not far away as a kid in the 50's and visited family round there for years after that. I also worked not far away in the 60's.

I may be wrong but I think your Grandads house would have been relatively new at  that date, I believe that area was only developed in the late 19th century.

Back to the medallion, Wesleyan was also one of the first W's that sprang to my mind, I seem to remember you mentioning previously your family having been associated with Wesleyan Chapels.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Edmund said:

How about:

Ebenezer Wesleyan (Sunday) School Cricket Club (various locations)

Ellesmere (Road) Wesleyan (Sunday) School Cricket Club (Pitsmoor)

Endcliffe Wesleyan (Sunday) School Cricket Club (but only started in 1904)

I believe that all these clubs did exist, though their names were fluid.  Was Mr Morris living near any of them?

Thanks Edmund. William was the first Secretary of the Ebenezer Wesleyan Reform (Bramall lane)  Cricket Club but it was only formed in 1906 .  He had attended there with his family from being a child & was only 18 in 1902 when he won the batting prize.  I guess his dad must have been a cricketer but have no evidence of that. His dad was a Wesleyan Reform local preacher so it may be that he sent William to Ellesmere to play  cricket although it was a distance from where he lived. Endcliffe would have fitted perfectly if it had started earlier !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, boginspro said:

Thanks  johnm ,   I could only find it referred to as Sellers Street. I knew the area quite well many years ago having lived not far away as a kid in the 50's and visited family round there for years after that. I also worked not far away in the 60's.

I may be wrong but I think your Grandads house would have been relatively new at  that date, I believe that area was only developed in the late 19th century.

Back to the medallion, Wesleyan was also one of the first W's that sprang to my mind, I seem to remember you mentioning previously your family having been associated with Wesleyan Chapels.

 

Thanks Boginspro. Yes family was heavily involved in  Wesleyan Reform Church. Both his dad & uncle were local preachers at a Wesleyan Methodist church (don't know which one) when they moved to Sheffield from Nottinghamshire about 1863   but in 1876 joined Ebenezer Brammall lane Wesleyan Reform Church when it was built.

 The medallion is gold & that suggests the Club was one which was well established & had resources. That's why I wondered if it was Exchange CC as I know from press reports it isssued gold medallions to players in 1902 although in all resports it's referred to simply as Exchange CC which doesn't really fit with EWSCC.

Probably I won't find the answer with any certainty although Edmund has a psossible with Ellesmere Wesleyan Sunday CC which could fit although did they issue gold medallions ?  I will  check presss reports for them.

Many thanks to both you & Edmund .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
johnm
2 hours ago, Edmund said:

Possibly the firm itself was Pinro, likely at Handsworth.  From 1950 to 59 Pinro Sports football club was active in the Sheffield League.

Hi Edmund, AS you seem to know about sports clubs I wonder if you know what cricket club EWSCC would be? My grandad had a gold watch chain  medallion with EWSCC Batting Prize 1902 on it. I have tried in past but unable to put a name to the club . Have found there was an Exchange Cricket club played in Norton & District league ; maybe that ?

Thanks John

Link to post
Share on other sites
johnm
1 hour ago, Edmund said:

Got nowhere with this John - sorry.

Thanks anyway 

Link to post
Share on other sites
syrup
On 07/10/2020 at 11:19, johnm said:

Hi Edmund, AS you seem to know about sports clubs I wonder if you know what cricket club EWSCC would be? My grandad had a gold watch chain  medallion with EWSCC Batting Prize 1902 on it. I have tried in past but unable to put a name to the club . Have found there was an Exchange Cricket club played in Norton & District league ; maybe that ?

Thanks John

Hi John
Is this the one you are wanting.

Sheffield Independent 10 December 1902

Sheffield 2.JPG

Sheffield 3.JPG

Sheffield 4.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Edmund
On 07/10/2020 at 11:19, johnm said:

Hi Edmund, AS you seem to know about sports clubs I wonder if you know what cricket club EWSCC would be? My grandad had a gold watch chain  medallion with EWSCC Batting Prize 1902 on it. I have tried in past but unable to put a name to the club . Have found there was an Exchange Cricket club played in Norton & District league ; maybe that ?

Thanks John

John,

Some information, but still not there yet...

In September 1902 in the Heeley and District League, Ebenezer Reform v Saint Pauls at Norfolk Park. W.Morris batted well for the winners, scoring 38 not out.  The score was Ebenezer Reform 73  St Pauls 63.

Morris was playing for Ebenezer in June 1902.  The church was on Brammall Lane, half a mile from Sellers Street.

The clubs in the leagues had very short lives, often only a season.  As Ebenezer were of the Wesleyan denomination, possibly EWSCC could be along the lines of Ebenezer Wesleyan School Cricket Club, though I've not found any record matching EWSCC

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2020 at 19:48, Edmund said:

John,

Some information, but still not there yet...

In September 1902 in the Heeley and District League, Ebenezer Reform v Saint Pauls at Norfolk Park. W.Morris batted well for the winners, scoring 38 not out.  The score was Ebenezer Reform 73  St Pauls 63.

Morris was playing for Ebenezer in June 1902.  The church was on Brammall Lane, half a mile from Sellers Street.

The clubs in the leagues had very short lives, often only a season.  As Ebenezer were of the Wesleyan denomination, possibly EWSCC could be along the lines of Ebenezer Wesleyan School Cricket Club, though I've not found any record matching EWSCC

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2020 at 14:34, syrup said:

Hi John
Is this the one you are wanting.

Sheffield Independent 10 December 1902

Sheffield 2.JPG

Sheffield 3.JPG

Sheffield 4.JPG

Thnaks Syrup - thats it !!"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2020 at 19:48, Edmund said:

John,

Some information, but still not there yet...

In September 1902 in the Heeley and District League, Ebenezer Reform v Saint Pauls at Norfolk Park. W.Morris batted well for the winners, scoring 38 not out.  The score was Ebenezer Reform 73  St Pauls 63.

Morris was playing for Ebenezer in June 1902.  The church was on Brammall Lane, half a mile from Sellers Street.

The clubs in the leagues had very short lives, often only a season.  As Ebenezer were of the Wesleyan denomination, possibly EWSCC could be along the lines of Ebenezer Wesleyan School Cricket Club, though I've not found any record matching EWSCC

Hi Edmund, Thats really interesting thanks .  Maybe you have found the answer !!  School could refer to Sunday School.

Williams father was a founder member of Ebenezer Wesleyan Reform Church (not a Wesleyan) when it opened in 1876.  Are you able to find any other references to Ebenezer Reform at all please?

Thanks John

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Edmund

A C.Morris played for the Ebenezer Reform team in 1897 - any relation to your family?

1924632170_EbenezerReformvHeeleyWesleyans.png.9a32db3135cbd847671d4ea12b2309a0.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Edmund, Thats definately an Ebenezer WR Chapel  team - Charles Morris was a relative being my grandad William's elder brother & teh Beeley family were prominent there too. What a  bowler Thackerey was !!!

If you find any more Ebenezer Reform team sheets 1880- 1912 or so I would love to see them.

Thanks again , John

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...