One of my ancestors ended up living in what the census described as “ part of” Attercliffe Hall. It was never a grand family so I can’t imagine it was a Hall in the traditional sense. I found some brief details about in on the internet but information is quite scarce. I know it was a dissenting chapel and working mans college. Does anyone know where it was? Thanks. 

Attercliffe Hall was a Methodist Mission Hall (Wesleyan originally before the various Methodist churches merged). It was opened in 1926 on the east side of Attercliffe Road on the site of a former Wesleyan chapel. The attached picture is from the 1927 first anniversary services. My parents were married there in 1931 and I was baptised there in 1935.

One organisation that was run from there with which my father was associated was the 'Sick and Dividing Society.' Men paid a small subscription each week and would get a grant if off work through illness, or if there was a bereavement. This lasted until the welfare state began to function after the 1945 election.

005 Attercliffe Wesleyan Hall 1931 Clifford (1906) m.jpg

• Upvote 1

Many thanks Gordon. My ancestor appeared on the census there in 1871. So before it was converted fully back to a Methodist church it must have had some residential element. I know way back it was a chapel and educational institution. Do you happen to know the full address.