Sign in to follow this  
19liam99

Silver Knife Identification

Hello, I have a old knife that I have been trying to find out about. I have managed to figure out that it is made by John Yeamoans Cowlishaw, it is silver and made in Sheffield but I'm struggling to figure out its exact age. I will attach the best photos I can get till tomorrow so hopefully someone can help!! Cheers Liam

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

John Yeomans Cowlishaw blew his head off with a shotgun in the water-closet of his home, Tapton Cliffe, Fulwood Road on 23rd January 1895 aged about 65.  He had been depressed following the death of his wife two years previously.  He was a nephew of John Newton Mappin and continued with Mappin's pearl business in Norfolk Street, subsequently moving to Bakers Hill and the Arundel Street, where he was a pearl cutter and manufacturer of silver fruit knives, For 22 years he was a director of the Sheffield and Hallamshire Bank, Chairman for the final 10 years. He was also Chairman of Mappins Brewery in Rotherham, and a director of Newton Chambers and Company, and a shareholder in Joseph Rodgers and Sons, Norfolk Street.  He was involved in the establishment of the Mappin Art Gallery, which was based on John Newton Mappin's art collection. His uncle, J.N Mappin bequeathed him his shooting lodge at Moscar, which explains the presence of guns at his home.  He left 3 sons, John (Arundel Street works), Frederick (Rotherham brewery) and Frank (in London)

• Like 1

To me it looks like 1899 and it's a fruit knife as the acids in fruit will not corrode silver, it was always used before the invention of Stainless Steel. If you want an accurate year ask the Assay Office.

It's definitely 1908.  Just check the hallmark table for shape of the crown and lion frames and then the gothic 'q'.    

Hello, I was looking to upload a little bit about another Mother of Pearl handled fruit knife that I saw at an auction view. I did not have enough hands when I when I took the maker’s marks on the blade of the knife and was unable to stop a shake. Thus you will see later my improvisation but I think the ploy will help and confirm Liam’s knife dating.

1188749391_Yeommansfruitkni.jpg.93a5912fc4a6d6ce27de47af16d17c3d.jpg

The duplicate mark was on a spoon. No confusion 1908 and agrees with the recorded dates for the maker. There is another post and 2 more fruit knives from “Cowlishaw” at the reference below.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/3761-john-y-cowlishaw/

Thinking now, about to the knife at the auction, it was made slightly earlier and by another silversmith.

1309908670_AWStaniforthSheffield1899.jpg.b2f0fd1863dfc738159047c667669915.jpg

1468458969_AWStaniforthSheffield1899comp.jpg.eaad42ece87795e4db3196603df2f5a1.jpg

The blade maker is “AS” in an oval cartouche and that is  “Arthur Worral Staniforth” and I looked on the forum and could not find him referenced with “us”. The site “silvermakersmarks.co.uk” gives his silversmithing dates as 1890-1919 and mentions folding button-hook and fruit knife as products. The date letter on the blade is the stylised “g” giving the date 1899. I did view the blade with a lens before the tremors came. The unmoving Sheffield marks again came from a spoon.

“Arthur Worral Staniforth” appears to be referenced in the Sheffield Indexers at the turn of the 20th century as shown below.

Staniforth, Arthur W. (, silver fruit knife manufacturer).
     Address: 50 Holly Street h.39 Sarah Street, in 1905.
     Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

Staniforth, Arthur W. (, Silver fruit knife manufacturer).
     Address: 50 Holly Street; h. 39 Sarah Street, in 1911.
     Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 19

I have just scratched the surface on "A.W.Staniforth" so there must be a little more to go with it. If anyone is interested the auction is 25.8.19 in the far NE of England and is normally on both the well known on line auction platforms. No I do not get cut of the sale price.

Kalfred