Breweries & Beers

Eddthebrew

Hi all, I'm a brewer and brewing historian,  working on a book on old beers and brewing.

Do any fellow members know of any old Sheffield and area brewing production records  ? , I've seen the collections of Ward's Sheaf Brewery, and Tennant Brothers , Exchange Brewery @ the archives on Shoreham St (a really helpfull bunch!!) ; and would be interested in any old records from the Sheffield area.

I'll upload a treble of beers and gravities from the Tennant Bros brewery in a bit , and I'll pop a list from Ward's up soon .

Cheers,

Edd

S_H_Ward_1875_-_1884docx.jpg

TENNANT_BROTHERS.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddthebrew said:

Hi all, I'm a brewer and brewing historian,  working on a book on old beers and brewing.

Do any fellow members know of any old Sheffield and area brewing production records  ? , I've seen the collections of Ward's Sheaf Brewery, and Tennant Brothers , Exchange Brewery @ the archives on Shoreham St (a really helpfull bunch!!) ; and would be interested in any old records from the Sheffield area.

I'll upload a treble of beers and gravities from the Tennant Bros brewery in a bit , and I'll pop a list from Ward's up soon .

Cheers,

Edd

I can't help with your question but I have one for you if you don't mind.

I was recently reminded of the Norfolk Brewery of the Park District which I believe had at least three addresses. If you have information on this brewery would you give us some details on here please?

How do ,

I`ll have a look in my files o`doom , and upload any info I turn up on this one ; could you send me the addresses ? .

Maybe local trade directories have some info of use as to the firm ,such as operating dates and possibly , advertisements ;  though early trade directories are generally organised by Borough information ; then name & occupation , rather than by  trades (USUALLY PRE 1850 DIRECTORIES)

Cheers,

Edd

UPDATE: William Greaves &Co Ltd , Norfolk Brewery ; South Park St, taken over by Duncan Gilmour& Co in 1920 (registered as a private company ca 1909)

Not too many people will know that Princess Margaret's toy boy ,a certain Roddy Llewellyn, worked for a while in Whitbread's lab at Exchange Brewey...not sure just what his OG was!^_^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddthebrew said:

How do ,

I`ll have a look in my files o`doom , and upload any info I turn up on this one ; could you send me the addresses ? .

Maybe local trade directories have some info of use as to the firm ,such as operating dates and possibly , advertisements ;  though early trade directories are generally organised by Borough information ; then name & occupation , rather than by  trades (USUALLY PRE 1850 DIRECTORIES)

Cheers,

Edd

UPDATE: William Greaves &Co Ltd , Norfolk Brewery ; South Park St, taken over by Duncan Gilmour& Co in 1920 (registered as a private company ca 1909)

Thanks   Eddthebrew

William Greaves (& Co.) brewers Norfolk Brewery, 86 Broad Street; house 203 Shrewsbury Bank - White's 1849

William Greaves (& Co.) brewers and maltsters, Norfolk Brewery 86 Broad Street, Park; h. 203 Shrewsbury Bank - White's 1852

William Greaves (& Co.) brewers & aerated water manufacturers & wine & spirit merchants Norfolk Brewery, South Street, Park -Kelly's 1893

William Greaves & Co. Ltd. Brewers,ale & porter bottlers, wine & spirit merchants Norfolk Brewery, 36 South Street, Park - White's 1905 / 1911

William Greaves (& Co. Ltd.) brewers & wine & spirit merchants Norfolk Brewery, 36 South Street, Park - White's 1919

The building at the bottom of South Street was still there in my younger days and was in line and clearly visible from Commercial Street. I have read somewhere that they had another site further up South Street but can't confirm that.

From this website, it says established as Hazlehurst and Greaves in about 1860 but White's has William Greaves (& Co.) brewers Norfolk Brewery, Broad Street in 1849 so was this a merger / takeover?       ------------       http://www.sheffieldcamra.org.uk/2015/10/heritage-open-day-pub-walk/

QUOTE    Further along West Street, Bloo88 has a distinctive tiled exterior which celebrates a long closed Sheffield Brewery and the original name of the pub: ‘Greaves & Co. Hallamshire Hotel.’ The company was originally established as ‘Hazlehurst and Greaves’ in about 1860. In 1880, the name was changed to ‘William Greaves and Company.’ Their Norfolk Brewery sat on the hill behind Midland Station.    UNQUOTE

Greaves-Norfolk-Brewery-c1860.jpg

IMG_4666-2.jpg

• Like 1

I'd say it was something like ~ founded by Haselhurst , possibly Greaves being a relative or senior manager/ partner ; with a full purchase later in the 19th century. On the different addresses thing : I'd say that they were probably satellite offices or possibly pubs or off licenses , as trade directories often list the occupiers of premises, rather than the businesses carried on there          eg No  x  , Any St , occupied by Greaves & Co being say the Anchor Tavern .

32 minutes ago, Eddthebrew said:

I'd say it was something like ~ founded by Haselhurst , possibly Greaves being a relative or senior manager/ partner ; with a full purchase later in the 19th century. On the different addresses thing : I'd say that they were probably satellite offices or possibly pubs or off licenses , as trade directories often list the occupiers of premises, rather than the businesses carried on there          eg No  x  , Any St , occupied by Greaves & Co being say the Anchor Tavern .

Thanks, that sounds plausible.

• Like 1

Charles Hazlehurst and William Greaves were in business together, with a brewery in the Park area before 1838 (in July of that year they unsuccessfully prosecuted a constable for stealing beer during the night shift).  The partnership was dissolved in August 1845.  Later in August they were prosecuted by the Revenue for selling beer at Rivelin for which they did not have a licence, that they had use of a store at Rivelin for holding strong beer and that they had not declared their activities fully to the Revenue.  They had a licence to brew 2 to 5 thousand  barrels of ale per year in Sheffield.  Their argument was that they didn't need a licence to sell beer in different places, only if they wished to brew, giving an example of a well known London brewery that sold their beer nationwide.

• Like 2