Jump to content
Thorntons girl

Favourite view point in the peaks

Recommended Posts

What is your favourite viewpoint?

Mine are the views along White edge and Frogat edge, just beautiful.

Winnats pass is out of this world,see below.

Any photos?

Lets see who gets the best!59110429e0d6d_CastletonandPhoebe042.thumb.JPG.7ae0df225a9af25846b32c0566f9091d.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on!!

I thought Sheffielders enjoyed the countryside!!

Am I the only one who does?

I am disapointed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oldbloke    2

Looking out from the top of Mam Tor in the depths of winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RLongden    7
On 19/07/2017 at 10:41, Oldbloke said:

Looking out from the top of Mam Tor in the depths of winter.

Mam Tor summit, looking east across the Hope Valley. A winter sunrise, with the mist still hanging in the valley bottom.

IMG_1683[1].JPG

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that is so beautiful, I have done this walk so many times, in all weathers, it is stunning always, thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
andydb    0

I have to be pedantic/correct if you are from Sheffield/quoting the name of the Park, then it's The Peak :-) Sorry but it just sounds wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I dont understand what you mean/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voldy    5

Hi Thorntons girl

The post by andydb appears to be nit-picking over the title of your thread. Your use of the word 'peaks' will have been readily understood by those familiar with the 'Dark Peaks' and 'White Peaks' areas of this National Park as confirmed by your first post.

 Sorry I can't add a picture, though on my cycling trips into Derbyshire in the 40's, along the Fox House to Hathersage Road (A625), the 'Surprise ' view of the Hope Valley was always appreciated. Perhaps someone can post their photo? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the explanation Voldy and understanding of my meaning

I have got a photo of the beautiful view you mentioned and will post it soon,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 22:07, Thorntons girl said:

Come on!!

I thought Sheffielders enjoyed the countryside!!

Am I the only one who does?

I am disapointed

When I did my cycling trips out into Derbyshire and beyond I never had a favourite place I just rode for the fun of it.   After I started riding with the Sheffield Don Wheelers in 1960 runs were more organized, Summer runs would vary from Rudyard Lake, Manchester,Selby,York, Lincoln and the coast, usually Bridlington and Cleethorpes. Winter runs would be Matlock, Buxton, Edwinstowe,  Tuxford and a few places on the Trent. Most if not all were on a Sunday. If I had to choose I think the most scenic routes must have been the runs from Sheffield through The Peaks to Leek and on to Rudyard Lake. Happy days.  W/E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, you have certainly travelled around some stunning scenery and some distances on your bike!

I have not travelled as far as Leek or heard of Rudyard lake, where is this?

Voldy, this is for you, It isnt my photo, one of google images but it shows Surprise view.

download.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another beautiful view that I enjoyed this week

Mam tor and Rush up Edge

july aug 2017 052.JPG

july aug 2017 067.JPG

july aug 2017 073.JPG

july aug 2017 077.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voldy    5

Thank you Thorntons girl for your posts, it's a long time since I visited the Hope Valley but I can remember a Youth Club hike from Hope via Lose Hill to Mam Tor and the additional photos are a superb reminder of (for me) the late 40's before part of the A625 road was closed to traffic. Castleton and Peveril Castle were always popular destinations and during the war years a holiday week in a caravan at Calver Sough allowed us to visit many other 'Derbyshire Delights'.

Rudyard Lake is about 3 miles NW of Leek, more difficult to access from the Sheffield side along the minor road network but well worth straying into Staffordshire!  you can enjoy more 'Viewpoints' on the minor roads as W/E says in his post, "Happy Days".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/07/2017 at 22:58, Thorntons girl said:

 

I have not travelled as far as Leek or heard of Rudyard lake, where is this?    

                                                                                                                             

download.jpg

Rudyard Lake [Reservoir]  Is on the A523, the Leek to Macclesfield section.

W/E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 09:45, Waterside Echo said:

Rudyard Lake [Reservoir]  Is on the A523, the Leek to Macclesfield section.

W/E.

What a beautiful photo, thanks for sharing.

I have never been there, definitely a place worth visiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 09:30, Voldy said:

Thank you Thorntons girl for your posts, it's a long time since I visited the Hope Valley but I can remember a Youth Club hike from Hope via Lose Hill to Mam Tor and the additional photos are a superb reminder of (for me) the late 40's before part of the A625 road was closed to traffic. Castleton and Peveril Castle were always popular destinations and during the war years a holiday week in a caravan at Calver Sough allowed us to visit many other 'Derbyshire Delights'.

Rudyard Lake is about 3 miles NW of Leek, more difficult to access from the Sheffield side along the minor road network but well worth straying into Staffordshire!  you can enjoy more 'Viewpoints' on the minor roads as W/E says in his post, "Happy Days".

Hi Voldy

glad you enjoyed the posts, it is my favourite subject. the countryside.

I love to sit out there in the peace and quiet, breathing in the fresh air and losing myself in the beauty.

Stafford-shire sounds great too, anywhere with fresh, beautiful scenery is a place I want to be/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×