Industry Inn

RichardB

Broad Street looking towards Park during the construction of Park Hill and Hyde Park Flats, Wharf Street Goods Depot on left; Industry Inn, right, 1960's

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s13802

Going through some old negatives I found one taken from the other side of Whalf Street Goods. It does look like it was after the goods yard closed, about 1960 I would think. The road the other side of the hi-tec street lighting is Navigation Hill.

The tower may have been a lift for goods to be brought up from street level.

You can just make out the Tetleys sign on the side of the pub.

I well remember the road behind me going down under the many railway lines from both stations and the goods yard. We used to call it the dark archers.

jiginc

A bit of additional information.

Wharf Street goods officially closed on 12th July 1965. The tower was indeed a lift for transporting goods to and from street level.

A bit of additional information.

Wharf Street goods officially closed on 12th July 1965. The tower was indeed a lift for transporting goods to and from street level.

Thanks for thay madannie77.

A few years after I thought, I did wonder if the lift was driven by water pressure as the top looks like a water tank.

jiginc

A few years after I thought, I did wonder if the lift was driven by water pressure as the top looks like a water tank.

jiginc

The lifts - there were two - were operated hydraulically , and were capable of raising or lowering 10 ton railway wagons, so it was a powerful piece of machinery.

The lifts - there were two - were operated hydraulically , and were capable of raising or lowering 10 ton railway wagons, so it was a powerful piece of machinery.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City Goods was a goods station, belonging to the London and North Western Railway, in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.

The London and North Western Railway presence in Sheffield began in 1895 when it opened a small goods station on Bernard Road. The company opened a ¾-mile branch eastwards from Woodburn Junction to their what was then called Sheffield City Goods terminal on Bernard Road. Its first line in the steel city was inadequate in the eyes of the LNWR as it was buried under its rivals' network of lines. The company obtained powers to build a more suitable establishment.

The site chosen was at the corner of Broad Street and Wharf Street, behind the Corn Exchange, ¾-mile west of their terminus on Bernard Road. A tunnel under the Nunnery Colliery goods line was necessary as well as a bridge above the Midland Main Line (MML), just north of Midland station. The exit of the tunnel was directly above the MML and connected to a bridge above the main railway line. It then pursued West to the depot on red brick arches. The depot building itself was three storeys high and covered 94,260 ft² and possessed two 20 ton hydraulic lifts capable of carrying 10 ton wagons down to the basement (actually at street level). The yard opened in February 1903 and Bernard Road depot was kept open to deal with heavier loads.

To avoid confusion, Bernard Road goods was renamed Nunnery Goods and the title of City Goods passed onto the new goods yard.

The depot closed on 12 July 1965 when a new large freight transshipment and engine depot opened at Grimesthorpe.

Guest transit

....great photo - but just to clarify - the Tetley pub in this view is the "Durham Ox" which still stands to this day (albeit builders offices at the moment)

I remember watching the Industry Inn burn down, sometime around 1964/5 from the comfort of a watsonian double adult sidecar.

....great photo - but just to clarify - the Tetley pub in this view is the "Durham Ox" which still stands to this day (albeit builders offices at the moment)

Thanks Transit, it was doing my head in trying to work that one out !

jiginc

Hi,

The City Station lifts were hydraulically operated and the tower shown in the photo supported the header tank. The bottom section of the tower housed the pumps and control gear. Not sure if there was space in tower of anything else.

The head gear for lifts themselves don't show on the photo so they must have been scrapped before it was taken. You couldn't miss them as they were enormous structural steel frames. In terms of location on site (and in the photo), they would have been in the space immediately beyond where the rail tracks converge but in front of the water tower/pumping station.

Regards

I remember watching the Industry Inn burn down, sometime around 1964/5 from the comfort of a watsonian double adult sidecar.

Now there's a statement that calls out for a bit of expansion if ever there was one.

Come on oldbloke you can't just leave it at that. :)

Now there's a statement that calls out for a bit of expansion if ever there was one.

Come on oldbloke you can't just leave it at that. :)

It's a long time ago and I was only a youngster, but we'd taken my Granddad from the Manor Park to the Rag & Tag. In those days my Dad had a Royal Enfield Meteor with a Watsonian double adult sidecar. When we set off back to the Manor Park there was a policeman stopping traffic for the fire engines. When they let traffic go through again we stayed for quite a while, as my Granddad had been in the AFS during the war he insisted on telling me & Dad what was going to happen next, what the firemen were doing wrong etc. We eventually left when my Dad's need for food and wrestling on TV got the better of him.

The Royal Enfield was sold sometime in 1965 and replaced by an early 50s Austin A40 Somerset. I started talking to Dad again about 6 months later :P