Romance of the Wednesday

dunsbyowl1867

Photo from reprint of Sparling' s 1926 book.

Anybody fancy standing on the West Stand Roof next year?

The 1st Hillsborough disaster. 4th February 1914. During a cup replay with Wolves a wall on the Penistone road, on the same side as the old stand, gave way. No one was killed but 80 people had to attend hospital and many more treated for minor wounds.

Guest statowl

Wednesday team from 1874/5 must be one of the earliest

You see that picture occasionally reproduced as being a Wednesday photo. I think it is the reason why a book a few years ago claimed we had once played in all blue, but actually it is of a Sheffield F.A. team(well that's what I think anyway.).

I remember seeing the picture first in Percy Young's "Football in Sheffield" where it was labeled as a Sheffield FC team. When I bought the reprint of "Romance of the Wednesday" I noticed it was labeled as a Wednesday group, however the names underneath (which I reckon must have been inscribed on the back of the photo, or in accompanying paper work) didn't line up with any Wednesday, or Sheffield team that I could find - it was however exactly the same team as played in one of the FA representative matches in 1874/75.

I can't find my info at the moment, but memory suggests it is either the Sheffield FA (not FC) team that faced either London or Glasgow that year.

I'll dig out the proper information and post it later.

Cheers

Andrew D.

statowl

There appears to be a hunchback on the extreme left of the back row, an "old trout" in the middle of the back row, and Wolfman Jack in the front row lol

Guest statowl

I finally found my "Romance".

The picture which claims to be a Wednesday group from 1874/5 is actually a Sheffield Association group from 1875/76 - taken for the Birmingham Association game at Bramall Lane - which Sheffield won 6-0.

However of these players only Morton and Horton didn't play for Wednesday that season (or at least they aren't recorded as playing that season, records are sketchy).

Horton had played for Wednesday previously (when he was known as W. Orton, which I suspect is due to accent - transcription error) and Morton would play a couple of seasons later. So even though it isn't a Wednesday group - it is as good as. In fact Hunter (a future England captain, and the captain of Blackburn Olympic, the first Northern team to win the F.A. Cup) is wearing a hooped shirt, which could be a Wednesday shirt ?

Andrew D.