Ladybower History

Guest HRHartley

Guest HRHartley

Hi, Firstly hello...this is my first post on here. I am from S20 area of Sheffield. But...my paternal side of the family (The Cotterill's) were originally from Ashopton, now under lots of water at Ladybower obviously. My GGG Grandad Jonathan built the Ladybower Inn (still around) and my GG Grandad Willis built Ginnett House, which still stands at the waters edge. All thanks to the stubborness of my dear Aunt Annie Cotterill, who feisty as she was refused to move. Letting the waterboard buy the house under the terms she lived there until her death. Which bless her was when i was only 10, at the ripe old age of 99. 24 years ago now. My Great Grandad Jonathan (lots of jonathans i know, my bro is Jonathan too lol), and GG Grandad Willis worked on the Dam construction too.

We do have some pictures passed down from the family, well a fair few but I have traced some more from my Aunts old neighbour who was will executor for her for some reason. 24 yrs later and some research from me and I have found her, and....she still has a bag of photos etc which she has said she will hunt out and sort. We will also meet up, and i am going to record the stories that Annie told her which she still remembers. Plus get back the family pics, and hopefully docs which will help fill the odd gap in the family tree. I do know Annie wasnt a sentimental person and was once found burning a few docs as they were "gathering dust and of no use!", shame but she was a no nonsense woman bless.

Her Sister Myra was a proper party girl apparently too! Didnt marry till her late 30s/early 40s. Went to all the party's in Sheffield and local area. Sounded like a proper it girl who liked a good time. Together Annie and Myra were in the Ashopton Ladies Cricket team, and also played the music at local dances. Annie was a great pianist, and I know this as she was overjoyed when i learnt to play as a youngster. Unfortunatley I turned into a teenager and ditched it...but this was after she had passed away.

I am hoping to meet Mary (my Aunts old neighbour) who funnily enough remembers me and my folk and brother, at the old family pub the Ladybower Inn, to discuss and document things. I really cannot wait, plus I want to visit Bamford church to hunt through records. I am also aware Matlock Office has some docs, as well as Sheffield Records office. So even though I grew up learning alot, though wish now I was so into it as I am now, as I could have saved some docs before Annie burnt them, I know there is more to learn.

I would love to know if there were any family connection on here via Cotterill, Barber or Lister names. Cotterill and Barber were ashopton area based. Lister was the family name of Charlotte who my G Grandad Jonathan married, they were from Aston area!

Anyway thanks for reading this lovely long thread lol.

Helen Hartley (nee Cotterill)

Would post pics but I am on my tiny Notebook Laptop which hasnt got pics saved on it!