Sheffield Floods Besides That In 1864?

JohnEBoy

I recall my Aunty Edna (born 1910) telling me about a bad storm,

she said that the light from all the gas lamps on our street turned green :blink:

Upwell Street ( under the rail way bridge) regularly flooded, much to the annoyance of Tram users ,until remedial work on the storm drains was undertaken ...sometime, I think, in the 70s.

16th Feb 1854.
Great damage was done at Sheffield by the bursting of the canal
which runs between that town and Tinsley.

Annals of Yorkshire 1874

58 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

July 1973?

Appears to have got a bit of damp in the engine....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/

s-l1600_flood.jpg

Request bus stop lists No. 2 & 4 buses  stop there. I would say its near the Fife Street flood in the photograph on Picture Sheffield. 

55 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Request bus stop lists No. 2 & 4 buses  stop there. I would say its near the Fife Street flood in the photograph on Picture Sheffield. 

No. 4 bus went along Barrow Road and turned up Merton Lane /Newman  Road. In my memory there was a bus stop before it turned up, but I recall there being a bus shelter at that one and no deviation in the line of the road. The No. 2 was the Circular that also served Newman Road. I don't remember the other bus Nos  29, 59, or 190 or their routes. Somebody, I'm sure will have knowledge of their routes. Don't remember any buses going up or down Fife Street... 

No. 4 ran from Firth Park to Bents Green via Brightside Lane. 

49 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

No. 4 bus went along Barrow Road and turned up Merton Lane /Newman  Road. In my memory there was a bus stop before it turned up, but I recall there being a bus shelter at that one and no deviation in the line of the road. The No. 2 was the Circular that also served Newman Road. I don't remember the other bus Nos  29, 59, or 190 or their routes. Somebody, I'm sure will have knowledge of their routes. Don't remember any buses going up or down Fife Street... 

No. 4 ran from Firth Park to Bents Green via Brightside Lane. 

Not been down there for a number of years, I left the area 1971. 

This Sheffield flood report was in the 1729 Newcastle Courant and highlights that there's always been problems around the area where the Sheaf joins the river Don.

The Picture Sheffield photograph showing flooding on Bocking Lane in 1939 is a bit before my time, but i do remember wading through flood water on the drives of the houses on nearby Bocking Close, which was on my paper round in the late 50s'

Abbey Brook rises up at the top of Greenhill Avenue and runs down through Chancet Wood, passing through several of the gardens on Bocking Close before being culverted under Bocking Lane to make its way down through the golf course to join the River Sheaf at Beauchief.

Flood in Sheffield.jpg

Bocking Lane 1939.jpg

Bocking Lane 1939 2.jpg

Article in The Star, Friday 4th July 1958. 

There had been flooding that week which prompted this article to be written. 

IMG_20230314_114808.thumb.jpg.55dddac39aba767e3e5d3c289dc85300.jpg

Thursday 12th & Friday 13th July 1923, two storms hit the distrct. Penistone Road area near Niagara Falls, houses and Fairview Hotel flooded. Walkley District water flowed down the slopes and nearly washed the streets away.

Six houses in Burngreave Road flooded out. 

Brightside and Attercliffe sustained the worst damage. Thunderbolt struck Royal Hotel, Attercliffe Common. 

Damage to the Picturedrome, Upwell Street, eight feet of water. A hotel next door flooded, barrels, bottles of beer and champagne were washed out of the cellar. 

Royal Hotel, 617 Attercliffe Common, photograph in the 1960's

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21808&pos=1&action=zoom&id=24290

Picturedrome, Upwell Street. photo April 1965

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s02711&pos=1&action=zoom&id=6346

My mother told me of this storm many, many years ago. My grandmother was 6 mths pregnant with her at the time but she said it was the worst she had ever experienced and many people thought it was the end of the world. They lived on Newhall road at the time. 

On 20/05/2023 at 18:46, SteveHB said:

?

off facebook.jpg

Is this the bridge @ Meadowhall Road/ Brightside Lane?