Victoria Street

duckweed

There are a number of grade 2 listed buildings in Victoria Street including no. 40 which now belongs to Sheffield University. I have come across the Obituary for Ebenezer Rhodes who it is said died in Victoria Street in 1839 but can't find an exact address for him. Anyone tell me about the inhabitants of Victoria Street?

Was down the Wicker in 1822/1833, He died, a poor man, on 16 December 1839 at his home in Victoria Street, Sheffield.

Still looking ...

Possibly one date is when he died and the other his funeral? Problem is because he died in 1839 there is no census record. Can't find any trade index except the same you found in the Wicker. Re history of Queen Street I have one of the Viner's family lived at 1 Queen Street but that was in the 20th century, and a long way off from the listed buildings I am interested in.

Every newspaper article mentions Wicker for Rhodes. Could there be another Victoria Street in the Wicker? I am beginning to think I have Red Herring though reading about Rhodes I wonder why we don't know more about this man.

Here's a set of census returns for Victoria Street (no house numbers at that time), for the 1841 census, about 18 months after his death: