Walter Charles Ibbotson, Census Help Please Anyone?

Bayleaf

I'm looking for the address of Walter Charles Ibbotson, grocer of Lower Oakbrook Road. He's mentioned in an article in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent, 30 August 1895. I'd like to pin the address down more closely if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Strange, a few minutes ago I got an email saying Steve had replied to this thread with the information I was looking for. (Thanks for the prompt reply!) I clicked on the address of the post in the email but where's Steve's reply?

(I'd still be interested in his address in 1891 thogh!)

Strange, a few minutes ago I got an email saying Steve had replied to this thread with the information I was looking for. (Thanks for the prompt reply!) I clicked on the address of the post in the email but where's Steve's reply?

(I'd still be interested in his address in 1891 thogh!)

It was from the 1901 directory,

Walter Charles Ibbotson, refreshment rooms, 145 Oakbrook Road.

Walter was at Carsick Hill Road at the1891 census - no house number, but he was the next entry to Carsick House. He was a file grinder, no mention of shopkeeping or catering.

By the 1901 census he was at 145 Oakbrook Road and was a File Grinder & Shopkeeper Confectioner

He died in Jul/Aug/Sep 1907, but strangely, still had an entry in the Whites Directory of 1911 - wonder if they got paid?

Ibbotson, Walt. Chas. (, Refreshment Rooms).
Residing at 145 Oakbrook Road, in 1911.
Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911

This newspaper cutting about his application for an off-licence probably helps with the location and is an amusing read to boot!

And here's his advert:

Walter was at Carsick Hill Road at the1891 census - no house number, but he was the next entry to Carsick House. He was a file grinder, no mention of shopkeeping or catering.

1879 directory

The current Oak Brook Tea House (corner of Westwood Road) is now number 143a. In 1890 there was a building on the opposite corner (yellow on the map below) which logically should have been no. 145. It is very close to Ibbotsons Wheel (File grinding) - any connection with our Mr Ibbotson the file-grinder?

Not sure how salubrious the boating / snacks / childrens playground would have been - presumably the boating pool was the supply for the grinding wheel.

Thanks again Edmund. The article about the licence application is where I started. The story gets more and more interesting. Mr Clegg who represented one of the opponents was the son of Alderman Clegg, one time Mayor of Sheffield, a leading member of the national temperance movement, and one of the dignitaries present at the opening of the former pub at Fulwood as a temperance inn and coffee house. Perhaps he should have declared a personal interest?

As to the swings and boating pool, I'm really puzzled. The only boating I know of was at the dam above the café in Endcliffe and at Forge dam. Maybe the advert was a failed attempt at trying the same at the Ibbotson Dam. (The Ibbotson bit sounds too close to be a coincidence?)

Thanks again Edmund. The article about the licence application is where I started. The story gets more and more interesting. Mr Clegg who represented one of the opponents was the son of Alderman Clegg, one time Mayor of Sheffield, a leading member of the national temperance movement, and one of the dignitaries present at the opening of the former pub at Fulwood as a temperance inn and coffee house. Perhaps he should have declared a personal interest?

As to the swings and boating pool, I'm really puzzled. The only boating I know of was at the dam above the café in Endcliffe and at Forge dam. Maybe the advert was a failed attempt at trying the same at the Ibbotson Dam. (The Ibbotson bit sounds too close to be a coincidence?)

Is this incorrect?

Porterglen Boating Dam, former dam belonging to Ibbotson Wheel - picturesheffield

No Steve, it's correct. I'm really glad I posted this query, I'm learning with every post! I do have a couple of photos of a boat on that dam around 1900, but the men in it are in working gear, so I assumed the boat was for maintenance work on the dam itself.

Now, where were the playground and the swings?