Brook Hill Traffic Experiment

jimmydunneclone

@1974 there was an experiment at Brook Hill *(university) roundabout where loads of mini roundabouts were created.This experiment didn't last very long.(There's a similar one in Swindon.)I have tried a couple of places for pictures but have had no luck.Anyone help?

@1974 there was an experiment at Brook Hill *(university) roundabout where loads of mini roundabouts were created.This experiment didn't last very long.(There's a similar one in Swindon.)I have tried a couple of places for pictures but have had no luck.Anyone help?

I remember that fiasco very well indeed. For a very short period of time they tried a system where you could motor either way around the central island as long as you went clockwise around the small islands. The traffic planners sat on the upper deck of a bus parked in the middle of the central island and watched the ensuing chaos.

Does anyone remember when the Supertram builders took over the island to tunnel beneath it and some wag put up a sign reading "Paddy's Island" ?

HD

Here's the elusive photo. From Public Transport Experience

Not the complete picture, but at least it's something . Taken from a tower block at the junction.

That's the only one I've ever seen.Doesn't tell the whole story unfortunately.I've even been in touch with the British Roundabout Appreciation Society (yes it does exist...)but they can't help.