When Times Were Hard 1920's

SteveHB

Times were hard and money was tight in the 1920's.

I can recall my father telling me about how he played in the streets with no shoes on,

and often stubbed a toe on the kerb stones.

Also, if he saw a gentleman walking down the street who was smoking a cigar,

dad would follow on until the cigar butt was thrown down, he would pick it up and smoke what remained.

Sounds a bit like the Hovis ad parody...but my Dad always reckoned he and one of his brothers shared a pair of Wellies so it was one week at school and one week off. The Council latterly issued boots to needy children...but each had a large hole punched in the tops so the Pawnbroker would know not to lend money on them!

My great, great grandad was killed picking up coal on Attercliffe road in 1920, here is a copy of the newspaper report

Sheffield Telegraph Wednesday January 21st 1920

Coal-Picker’s End

Robert Jordan (72) blacksmith’s striker, of 2ct 5 house, Oaks Green, was picking up coal off the tram tracks on Attercliffe Road, Sheffield, on Saturday morning. A motor lorry came along and the driver of it sounded his hooter four times before the old man took any notice of it. He then stepped back but after the lorry had passed, the old man stepped behind it, to resume picking up coal. He apparently had not noticed a tram which was coming behind the lorry. The tram struck him, knocked him down and killed him.

At the inquest yesterday nearly all the witnesses said the old man must have been deaf. They did not think that the driver of the tram was to blame.

A verdict of “accidental death” was returned, no blame being attached to the driver.

I remember, as a kid ,picking coal off the road as we followed the coal-man...and that was in the 1950s!

Dad had to leave home (Sheffield) in 1920's to go in search of work,

and he had to crawl along this pipe bridge, why would that be ?

Sounds a bit like the Hovis ad parody...but my Dad always reckoned he and one of his brothers shared a pair of Wellies so it was one week at school and one week off. The Council latterly issued boots to needy children...but each had a large hole punched in the tops so the Pawnbroker would know not to lend money on them!

The headteacher at Parkside Road many years ago was looking through the school logbooks. Among the entries were several recording that the weather was very cold and icy, and a number of children were absent because they had no shoes.

There was another entry I remember which said it was very cold today, the ink in the inkwells froze again!