Toothills Boundary Marker

tozzin

I don't know if this marker is still in situ set in Vicar Lane, but I will be going to look tomorrow, can anyone shed some light on who was Toothill and what was it a boundary of? There is a photo of it on picture sheffield.

Its gone, its her been covered by asphalt or its been taken away, the photo I saw it was set in cobbles and there isn't any cobbles on Vicar Lane now. So I've answered my own post.

In November 1845 John Toothill , Accountant and Estate Agent moved his premises from 249 Rockingham Street to 10 St James Row

If St James Row is the same road as St James Street, it crosses Vicar Lane. Could no 10 have been on the corner with Vicar Lane?

An Estate Agent may have been very keen on boundaries?

In 1871 he was treasurer of the "Sheffield Property Owners and Water Consumers Protection Society" - more boundary issue possibilities?

For many years he was subject to nuisance abatement orders for property he owned (houses in various districts, often ash-pit related). He built houses without the appropriate permissions, and kept others in a pitiful state of repair.

He died in 1893 leaving an estate of £28,699 0s 2d:

Well sorted Edmund.

===========

If they did lay tarmac over the sign, then I think it's tantamount to an act of vandalism.

Edit:

As if tarmacking over cobbles isn't vandalism enough anyway.

In November 1845 John Toothill , Accountant and Estate Agent moved his premises from 249 Rockingham Street to 10 St James Row

If St James Row is the same road as St James Street, it crosses Vicar Lane. Could no 10 have been on the corner with Vicar Lane?

An Estate Agent may have been very keen on boundaries?

In 1871 he was treasurer of the "Sheffield Property Owners and Water Consumers Protection Society" - more boundary issue possibilities?

For many years he was subject to nuisance abatement orders for property he owned (houses in various districts, often ash-pit related). He built houses without the appropriate permissions, and kept others in a pitiful state of repair.

He died in 1893 leaving an estate of £28,699 0s 2d:

attachicon.gifToothills Death 1893.png

St James Row runs parallel to the Cathedral, it was originally called Virgins Row. I'm so annoyed regarding the either removal or burying of the marker.