Who Owns This Little Bit Of Land ?

hilldweller

Something that has puzzled me for the best part of sixty years is a small area of land opposite Dial House, Wadsley.

It is approximately triangular and bordered on two sides by Dykes Lane and Leslie Road.

My grandparents lived close by and ever since I can remember it has been kept in good order with a chain link fence and a locked gate onto Dykes Lane.

It has some fine old trees growing on it and at least one modern replacement sapling. The grass is kept mowed but I have never seen anyone working in there.

The is a solitary notice in the Leslie Road corner that says "NOT FOR PUBLIC USE".

Other small areas like it dotted around the city and belonging to the council usually have public access and a few benches such as the ones at Crosspool.

I can't imagine it is in private ownership because it would have had twenty houses built on it by now.

I know that it was part of the grounds of Dykes Hall that was demolished 1920s/30s.

It is a lovely little oasis of green in the middle of housing but it puzzles me.

Can anyone enlighten me ?

HD

Shush. Someone will want it to build some flats on.

Lyn

Lets hope Tesco don't read this thread..

Lets hope Tesco don't read this thread..

They don't need to. They've just opened a Tesco store in the Beehive pub, about 100 yards down Far Lane ! Not even Tesco would build two Tesco's to the acre.

HD