Blayton Road Pitsmoor House Numbering Mystery

bensonhedges

On Blayton Road (off Scott Rd) in Pitsmoor, the houses on the even side run up to number 20, then next door is number 40, with no gap inbetween. The houses up to number 20 are semi-detatched, but the rest is a terrace. Does anyone know why this is?

My best guess is that the street was bombed during the second world war and partially rebuilt, but I can find no reference to this on the net - any ideas? Can be seem quite clearly on map no 89 here

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-1950s-over-300-of-them/page-3#entry22892

Same applies on Kirton Rd (next street along)

Just a guess, but I would think that they built the terraces first, and started numbering from 40, leaving room for as many houses that they assumed would/could be built in the space left.

When the rest of the street was finished they built semis, which take up less room than the terraces, so they had a few numbers left over.

Thanks - on another forum someone said there was an orchard at the top of the street to start with. Looks like they were right. You would have thought they would have started numbering from the other end...

Thanks - on another forum someone said there was an orchard at the top of the street to start with. Looks like they were right. You would have thought they would have started numbering from the other end...

The general rule, as far as I'm aware, is that the numbers always start from the end nearest to the town centre with the even numbers on the right hand side.

There are a few exceptions that I've noticed over the years. Burcot Road is one I think

Edit: Burcot Road, Brook Road and Beeton Road seem to number from the wrong end

I'm sure there will be lots more.

OS Map 264

There are mysterious gaps in the numbering of Banner Cross Road, running between Ecclesall Road South and Button Hill.

On 10/02/2013 at 09:38, SteveHB said:

post-188-0-27863400-1360489087_thumb.jpg

Is Osgathorpe a Viking name or Anglo Saxon ? It’s a wonder the name has survived 12,000 years or so.

Addy goes into this in some depth (as you would expect).  He reckons that it's derived from the Old Norse personal name As-gautr, equivalent to Os-geat in Anglo Saxon. The thorpe element meaning a hamlet of the poorer peasantry.

9 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Addy goes into this in some depth (as you would expect).  He reckons that it's derived from the Old Norse personal name As-gautr, equivalent to Os-geat in Anglo Saxon. The thorpe element meaning a hamlet of the poorer peasantry.

I had a thought that Thorpe was a farm or as you say settlement.

Is Osgathorpe a Viking name or Anglo Saxon ? It’s a wonder the name has survived 12,000 years or so.

Oops Tozzin, that should be "1200 years or so".  Slightly less of a wonder, there are plenty of placenames around the country that date from AS or Viking times.  For instance Scunthorpe: 'The town appears in the Domesday Book (1086) as Escumesthorpe, which is from the Old Norse Skumasþorp meaning "Skuma's homestead"' (courtesy of Wikipedia).

1 hour ago, MartinR said:

Oops Tozzin, that should be "1200 years or so".  Slightly less of a wonder, there are plenty of placenames around the country that date from AS or Viking times.  For instance Scunthorpe: 'The town appears in the Domesday Book (1086) as Escumesthorpe, which is from the Old Norse Skumasþorp meaning "Skuma's homestead"' (courtesy of Wikipedia).

I realised my mistake but I had to nip out, I remembered when I was daydreaming on the bus, I watched The Dig on Netflix last night if anybody was treated unfairly it was Mr Brown who discovered the Sutton Hoo treasure, a brilliant film,  thanks Edmund.

• Like 1

Thorpe …as in Osgathorpe is a fairly common place name ending in these parts….Woodthorpe, Skinnerthorpe, Hackenthorpe( Haakons homestead)….all derived from our Viking ancestors and “Thorpe “which has a parallel with modern German “ Dorf”