Whyte And Rudd Families Eccleshall

Guest whyterudd

Guest whyterudd

My grandmother was Edna Whyte nee Rudd and is shown in the 1901 census at 95 Montague Street Sheffield with parents Thomas and Elizabeth and is 14yrs. Thomas is a Sexton Church Officer and was born at Creswell Derbys. Elizabeth is from Anston.

In 1911 Edna is at 152 Grimesthorpe Road Sheffield 24 yrs and works in grocer and beer shop with mother. Father is Night Timekeeper at steel makers. Census shows two children but names only Edna. Parents 36 and 35 so born 1864-6. They are married 24 years so married in 1887. This is a corner shop judging by a pic on the internet of it in modern times.

The attached two pix are of an off licence in name of Thomas Rudd and is different to the one at Grimesthorpe Rd. Could it be Montague Street? Any ideas as to the year approx? What is a night timekeeper?

Family talk is that a shop was bombed in the war but no details.

Edna married Daniel Joseph Whyte from Northern Ireland in Sept 1918. He is not shown in census so must have come to Sheffield after 1911. He was reputed to be in the fire service during the war [ww2?] and injured. He left Sheffield with the man who set up Ferodo at Chapel en le Frith and worked there until his death.

Any assistance or suggestions gratefully received especially the location of the shop

Rudd's shop.BMP

===============================

Edit: Rudd's shop - BMP file converted

The 1919/20 directory lists a Thomas RUDD, grocer at 119 City Road, and I think the photos must show that shop. Unfortunately it has been replaced by a modern building, but no. 121 is still there and on Google Earth you can see the same slope, with steps up from the street and then up to the front doors.

Guest whyterudd

HughW - many thanks for the quick response. I believe you are right. I have checked Google and the house nearby still has the same features around the door. I need to get BMD certs to complete the picture.

Still there in 1925 ...

The 1919/20 directory lists a Thomas RUDD, grocer at 119 City Road, and I think the photos must show that shop. Unfortunately it has been replaced by a modern building, but no. 121 is still there and on Google Earth you can see the same slope, with steps up from the street and then up to the front doors.

Guest whyterudd

HughW

I have found pix of bombed houses on City Road and the bomb map also shows hits in the area of 119 so this could match with family talk about being bombed. I assume that they were there until and during the war. I see that the council have index cards of addresses bombed so will have to visit and check out a few things. Thanks for your help.

Guest whyterudd

I now have Edna Rudd's marriage cert and she was living at 119 City Road soyou were spot on with your info - many thanks. Her husband Daniel Whyte was at 47 Cavendish Street and I assume this has gone. He was a Catholic from NI