Beer Off!

dunsbyowl1867

I was thinking the other day my Grandad, who lived on Jenkin Road, Brightside used to go down to the Rising Sun pub on a Sunday night with a couple of big lemonade bottles and they used to fill them with beer, serving him from a window in the entrance. I used to go along and get a bottle of orangeade and a bag of Nib-its. Then we'd walk back up and go and watch the Onedin Line. Heady days.

I also remember someone telling me that they tried to buy a box of matches over a bar in a pub and the barmaid refused and said they could only be sold from the beer off window. The barmaid walked over to the window and my friend had to walk out of the pub buy the matches and then come back in!

Anybody else got and "beer off" memories? Do they still exist? What would be the reaction if you asked them to fill a pop bottle up today? :(

Guest wisewoodowl

I remember my dad bringing home jugs of Stones from the Sheffield Arms on Upwell Street. That was in the days when Stones was called Jungle Juice, when folks would't have too much on Sunday nights because of it's strength (so I'm told)

In those days "The Arms" was run by Roy and his mother, not sure of the surname though. It's still a pub, I've not been in for over 25 years.