“P.i.p.s.” In Ww1 Sheffield

peterwarr

Can anyone help me with this group of people, please?

I’m researching Sheffield hospitals in World War One, and see that the Third Northern General Hospital (based in Ecclesall Road/Collegiate Crescent) received financial and other help from a voluntary group simply referred to as “ the P.I.P.S.”.

I presume the name was well-known at the time, but I can’t fathom it now. What do the letters stand for? Who were the people? What did they do?

Do you have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Peter

Can anyone help me with this group of people, please?

I'm researching Sheffield hospitals in World War One, and see that the Third Northern General Hospital (based in Ecclesall Road/Collegiate Crescent) received financial and other help from a voluntary group simply referred to as " the P.I.P.S.".

I presume the name was well-known at the time, but I can't fathom it now. What do the letters stand for? Who were the people? What did they do?

Do you have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Peter

PIPS = Personnel Information Payroll Service

Penny in the Pound Scheme ? (Westfield) Started 1919 me thinks ?

To quote from http://www.westfieldhealth.com/about/history.aspx

"We strongly uphold the traditional values that inspired our birth in 1919, when we were known as the Sheffield Consultative and Advisory Hospitals Council.

The ‘penny in the pound’ scheme – the forerunner of today´s health cash plan – was formed to help workers access free hospital treatment in return for a weekly contribution of a penny in every pound earned".

As far as I know there was no connection with the War Hospitals

Guest Trefcon

P.I.P.S. Pic-nickers Imperial Parties Society.

Charity based in Sheffield to raise funds for sick and wounded soldiers at 3rd Northern General Hospital, Sheffield.

Where on earth did you come up with that ?

<Bows>

P.I.P.S. Pic-nickers Imperial Parties Society.

Charity based in Sheffield to raise funds for sick and wounded soldiers at 3rd Northern General Hospital, Sheffield.

Another snippet from a newspaper item: I see from a 1916 newspaper that P.I.P.S. was a rambling group which was formed before the war and which later set out to help the Third Northern General Hospital.

So its name is more understandable: “Picnicers’ Imperial Parties Society”. They organised picnics during a ramble! But the “Imperial” isn’t clear – perhaps referring to the countries from which original members came?

Peter

Following a suggestion from Trefcon, I’ve just located the Register of War Charities in Sheffield Archives (SY/140/L6.1). It’s full of fascinating stuff about nearly 200 local groups working for troops, hospital patients, Belgians and others. Definitely worth a look.

And the key point for this thread: PIPS is there!

Peter