Sgt Edwin Smith Rafvr (1922-1943)

Guest PhilB99

Guest PhilB99

Edwin Smith was born on 20 August 1922 at 68, Buttermere Road, Sheffield. His parents were Douglas Smith & Margaret (aka Marguerite & Marguerita) Carlton Smith formerly Bingham.

He enlisted with the RAF on 20 December 1940 and died on the night of 13/14 July 1943 when the Lancaster of which he was one of the crew was shot down over Belgium. 6 of the 7 crew died that night including one of my relatives. Whilst researching my relative I stumbled on the research being undertaken in Belgium by Pierre Michiels and his family into the loss of Lancaster DS690 (see: http://www.lancaster...0.com/chap5.php). I have been trying to assist them in their research and also more recently trace living relatives of the crew. So far we have managed to trace relatives of 5 of the 7 crew but not relatives of Edwin Smith.

The RAF will not release next of kin details because of the Data Protection Act.

At the time of his birth Edwin’s father was a ‘commercial traveller produce’. His mother Margaret (aka Marguerite & Marguerita) died on 1 June 1965 in Lodge Moor Hospital, Sheffield. Her occupation is recorded as ‘of Back 243 Fulwood Road, Sheffield (‘York Pub’) widow of Douglas Smith, Motor Car Salesman’.

We believe Edwin had a brother Harry born in 1916 and a sister Constance born in 1917 but have not been able to trace either of them.

We have written to both the ‘Sheffield Telegraph’ and ‘The Star’ seeking their help. ‘The Star’ was good enough to print an item in early September but nobody got in contact. We have also written to the current occupier of 68, Buttermere Road who was unable to help.

The 70th Anniversary is rapidly approaching and the Belgians will be conducting a memorial service with local dignitaries and some form of RAF representation. Relatives of at least 5 of the will be present. Can anybody help us trace relatives of Edwin?

Info from FreeBMD

Douglas Smith and Marguerite C Bingham married Mansfield Jun qtr 1914

possible children

Births Jun 1913

Smith Thomas Bingham Ecclesall B. 9c 1026

Births Dec 1913

Smith Frank Bingham Ecclesall B. 9c 939

Births Sep 1916

Smith Harry Bingham Ecclesall B. 9c 679

Births Dec 1917

Smith Constance Bingham Ecclesall B. 9c 755

Births Dec 1922

Smith Edwin Bingham Ecclesall B. 9c 736

Confirmation of Douglas Smith :

1919 Shop assistant of 68 Buttermere Road

1925, Traveller, 68 Buttermere Road

not much use, but at least we're looking.

Edwin Simth, Sergeant 115 Squadron number 1330882 died in 1943 found on Armed Forces BMD site on FMP - GRO War Deaths RAF all Ranks 1939 to 1948 volume 13 page 261.

I know you are aware of this, just putting it on for completeness.

Source

Guest PhilB99

Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm begining to wonder if 2 sisters married 2 brothers given the birth dates of Thomas & Frank. I was trying to avoid doing it because of the cost but I think I'll order up Harry's & Constance's B/Certs as a start just to have some certainty.

Another possible is an Edith born Q1.1915 Ecclesall B.

Regards

Phil

Don't feel I've contributed owt really. At least you know we're trying even if all we've found is your old posts elsewhere.

Best hope is someone is a relative and notices activity in this posting.

Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm begining to wonder if 2 sisters married 2 brothers given the birth dates of Thomas & Frank. I was trying to avoid doing it because of the cost but I think I'll order up Harry's & Constance's B/Certs as a start just to have some certainty.

Another possible is an Edith born Q1.1915 Ecclesall B.

Regards

Phil

Smith, Edwin (Student, dob 20 Aug 1922).

Parent or guardian name(s): Douglas (~), of 25 Heavygate Ave.

Admitted to Bolehill Junior & Infants Council School, Bole Hill Rd, Walkley, Sheffield, as of 8 Apr 1929,

until 18 Jul 1930, reason for leaving: Removed to Crookes. Previously attended Broomhill.

Information from Sheffield indexers-school admissions