The Holberry Society

Guest TheBotanical

Guest TheBotanical

As a few of you may know, I am a mature student at Hallam in my second year. I have been given a research project to study The Society called the Holberry Society which I believe was created in the late 1970's. I understand that the secretary of the society died a few years ago and I have had no luck in contacting John Baxter, whom I believe played a big part in the Society.

I'm off to the City Library tomorrow (I'm local) to see what I kind find out about the Society. One thing I have managed to do is to purchase a small pamphlet of the Society which was published in 1978. I'll see if I can post it on here. Any advice or heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

As a few of you may know, I am a mature student at Hallam in my second year. I have been given a research project to study The Society called the Holberry Society which I believe was created in the late 1970's. I understand that the secretary of the society died a few years ago and I have had no luck in contacting John Baxter, whom I believe played a big part in the Society.

I'm off to the City Library tomorrow (I'm local) to see what I kind find out about the Society. One thing I have managed to do is to purchase a small pamphlet of the Society which was published in 1978. I'll see if I can post it on here. Any advice or heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I recall buying that pamphlet in my rebellious youth - I also remember buying this also this one by John Baxter about the 1844 Miners Strike.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WELL-MASTERS-NOW-SHEFFIELD-YORKSHIRE/dp/0948987014

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WELL-MASTERS-NOW-SHEFFIELD-YORKSHIRE/dp/0948987014

Guest TheBotanical

Saw that the other day, thanks Richard.

That's a great find Richard. I'll have to put some time away to go through those boxes. Many thanks!

Another great find, Cheers Richard.

I recall buying that pamphlet in my rebellious youth - I also remember buying this also this one by John Baxter about the 1844 Miners Strike.

http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/0948987014

http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/0948987014

Thanks dunsbyowl, will see if I can get those.

Keep us foreigners updated please.

Saw that the other day, thanks Richard.

That's a great find Richard. I'll have to put some time away to go through those boxes. Many thanks!

Another great find, Cheers Richard.

Thanks dunsbyowl, will see if I can get those.

This may interest you Botanical, just look at No 629 marked in ink, Im not sure what Decline actually is but I did read it was Consumption or as its called now T.B.

Guest TheBotanical

This may interest you Botanical, just look at No 629 marked in ink, Im not sure what Decline actually is but I did read it was Consumption or as its called now T.B.

That's great Tozzin, thankyou very much. I'm back off to the archives tomorrow and hope to post tomorrow.

Guest TheBotanical

I've taken pictures of letter that were sent to Holberry but would I need permission by the archives to post them on here?

I've taken pictures of letter that were sent to Holberry but would I need permission by the archives to post them on here?

My thoughts are, post them up, and if anyone objects they can always be removed.

Guest TheBotanical

My thoughts are, post them up, and if anyone objects they can always be removed.

Which is the link to add pictures?

Anyone up for the newly invented position of "Transcription Fairie" ?

All applicants welcome, lots of opportunites, no pay or prospects ... eternal gratitude on offer from those of us with not-so-good eyesight !

Guest TheBotanical

Historically important. Thank you.

I'm still typing these up as we speak Richard. To be honest I'm struggling. Some sentences I can't complete at all. Once I've types them up I'll post and reference them as they are on the letter, for example HS1 and so on.