Benjamin Vickers

Guest basilbear

Guest basilbear

Dear history folk

I'm trying (from Hampshire) to get some info on certain Sheffield residents who at some time since its building, have lived in 32 Collegiate Crescent (32CC). I have managed to get a list of names, a few of which strike me as perhaps having something interesting to tell. If anyone might be able to hang some baubles of insight or knowledge upon this particular branch of Sheffield's history, I would be most grateful. Here are the names and date first recorded at 32CC of the people that I have in mind (however, that's not to exclude anyone else that you may know about):

Benjamin Vickers (1871) - could he be part of the Vickers Steel company?

I have some info on Vickers at http://archiveshub.ac.uk/features/02102501.html

Samuel F Ibbotson (1896) (Steel manufacturer)

John Henry Laverick (1921) - a managing director, not sure of what, unless he's another steel company man.

Perhaps they all worked for Vickers and the house came with the job!

I guess that it would be better to ask for directions on "how to research" these people (I'm completely uninitiated at this). I may be in Sheffield later in the week, for the purpose of visiting the library etc, but if there are any suggested on-line resources that would help me in advance of that, then that would be a great bonus.

Thanks!

BasilBear :)

Samuel F Ibbotson (1896) (Steel manufacturer)

John Henry Laverick (1921) - a managing director, not sure of what, unless he's another steel company man.

Samuel F Ibbotson (1901 White's directory)

John Henry Laverick (1925 Kelly's directory)

Benjamin Vickers, 32 Collegiate Crescent, in 1871.

Samuel Ibbotson, 32 Collegiate Crescent Kelly's 1893

Samuel F Ibbotson, Steel manufacturer, 1896

Samuel F Ibbotson, White's 1901

George P Wall, 32 Collegiate Crescent, in 1905.

G. P. Wall, Steel wire manufacturer Penistone Road; h. 32 Collegiate Crescent White's 1911

Reginald A Wall, 32 Collegiate Crescent White's 1919

John Henry Laverick, Managing Director,1921

John Henry W Laverick, Managing Director, 32 Collegiate Crescent Kelly's 1925

Check out the links provided in my signature block, especially the Google search one, the best way to find "stuff" on this site, it's on every post I've made, always easy to find.

Grade II listed :

SK3386NE COLLEGIATE CRESCENT

784-1/27/212 (North West side)

28/06/73 No.32

GV II

House, now a department of Sheffield Hallam University. c1860.

Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof

with 2 ridge and single external gable stack. Gothic

detailing. Plinth, quoins, first floor band, traceried wooden

eaves and bargeboard. 2 storeys plus garrets; 3 window range.

Projecting gable to right. Plain sashes, those to first floor

with label moulds. Central Tudor arched doorway with hoodmould

and half-glazed door. To left, a 3-light cross casement with

label mould. Right gable has a canted bay window, 3 lights,

with stone Decorated tracery and parapet with pinnacles. Right

return has a projecting gable to right with a single window on

each floor. To its left, a 3-light wooden cross casement on

each floor. INTERIOR not inspected.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-456639-32-collegiate-crescent-

Guest basilbear

Dear Richard,

you are one massively helpful guy! I really appreciate your contributions, thank you.

I will follow it all up soon.

kindest regards,

Victor (BasilBear)

It's my job here ...

along with plenty of other good folk.

Dear Richard,

you are one massively helpful guy! I really appreciate your contributions, thank you.

I will follow it all up soon.

kindest regards,

Victor (BasilBear)

Benjamin Vickers (b 1798) was the eldest son of John Vickers, who owned the flour mill in Millsands (the Town Mill). He passed the mill to Benjamin on his death. Benjamin and his brothers (William and John) attended the "Old Grammar School". Benjamin married the sister of Mr Robert Rodgers, magistrate and registrar of the County Court.

In 1841 his occupation was Miller and he was living at West(ern) Bank with his sister Mary.

In 1851 he was a Merchant living at "West Cliffe" with Mary and his brothers William and John who were Steel Manufacturers.

In 1861 he had moved into Collegiate Crescent with sister Mary and brother William.

In 1871 still at Collegiate Crescent with Mary, a retired Corn Miller. He died on 3rd October 1880 at Burlingham Quay aged 83.

None of the census material shows any links to the Brass / White Metal business. I am now unsure whether there were two Benjamin Vickers in Sheffield - one corn milling and one in the metal business.... however the census only shows one. Possibly Benjamin was involved in both industries? Reminiscences of Old Sheffield (pp 193-195) talks about John Vickers probably being the first manufacturer of Britannia Metal. The Indexers shows John Vickers at Millsand milling flour in 1787 and 1791 and John Vickers in the Britannia Metal industry based in Garden Street in 1825 and 1833.

Below is some information relating to the metal industry:

Was this the same Benjamin Vickers?

Guest basilbear

Golly - you guys are amazing! I haven't had time to look closely yet (dad's taxi service all night!) but now that I'm home I can begin to take it all in.

Edmund - how on earth do you manage to find this stuff so quickly?

Best wishes

Victor

Edmund is my hero ! Exceptionally well qualified in the stuff I can't do, mind you Steve, Stuart, MadAnnie, Vox and Hugh are all in that categoryl Ukelele Lady now I understand what she does - I'm still in awe of her abilities.

Golly - you guys are amazing! I haven't had time to look closely yet (dad's taxi service all night!) but now that I'm home I can begin to take it all in.

Edmund - how on earth do you manage to find this stuff so quickly?

Best wishes

Victor