Marmion Road

vox

Number 178 has a very nice letterbox !

http://luna.shu.ac.uk:8180/luna/servlet/detail/SHU~3~3~553010~159576:Peep-Bo?qvq=lc:SHU~3~3,SHU~10~10,SHU~13~13&mi=7737&trs=24336

It looks very short to have a number 178 !

Is that because "marmion" is a French boys name meaning "little one" or "short one" ?

Does it have anything to do with the Battle Flodden Field (September 11th 1513) ?

Mentioned in "Charles Peace" topic today

What is unusual about Marmion Road (off Ecclesall Rd) and why?

http://goo.gl/maps/nONid

It looks very short to have a number 178 !

Is that because "marmion" is a French boys name meaning "little one" or "short one" ?

The other part of Marmion Road is at the bottom of the hill (Ecclesall Rd) across from Endcliffe Park opposite the junction of Rustlings Road.

Between the two was a quarry/brick works, so for some reason Marmion Road was started but not completed,

perhaps they discovered something and decided to build the works ?

Here's how the two ends of Marmion Road looked in 1904. It would never have been a sensible through route, being parallel to Ecclesall Road, but may have been earmarked for housing? From the north end it now takes you through the Co-Op car park and drops you halfway up Ecclesall Road.

The other part of Marmion Road is at the bottom of the hill (Ecclesall Rd) across from Endcliffe Park opposite the junction of Rustlings Road.

Between the two was a quarry/brick works, so for some reason Marmion Road was started but not completed,

perhaps they discovered something and decided to build the works ?

That's about it.

Only anecdotal I know but:

I was working in one of the houses in the top part last year. The resident told me that it was planned to join the two parts after the quarrying was finished, but someone bought the land in the middle and built the shopping complex.

Interestingly, the entrance to the Summerfields supermarket is also called Marmion Road, so it is a road of 3 parts.

In the meantime an electricity substation was built at the end of the top part well, effectively sealing this part off for good.

That's about it.

Only anecdotal I know but:

I was working in one of the houses in the top part last year. The resident told me that it was planned to join the two parts after the quarrying was finished, but someone bought the land in the middle and built the shopping complex.

Interestingly, the entrance to the Summerfields supermarket is also called Marmion Road, so it is a road of 3 parts.

In the meantime an electricity substation was built at the end of the top part well, effectively sealing this part off for good.

So, the construction of Marmion Road started at some time around 1900,

and a large clay seam was discovered, then along came John Gregory & Sons Ltd. (brick manufacturers)

who put an offer in, so they could use the area for quarrying and the manufacture of bricks ?

(not true to fact, I made it up)