Where Is This Please ?

RichardB

Anyone know ?

Richard politely asks "Where is this please?" (free, Polite and Helpful ;-) )

Tozzin would have asked "Where the 'ell's that?"

..and when we know the answer it will be a good one for Tozzin to use in his Retro "Where the 'ell's that?" feature.

Those look like arrows in the design, could be a Masonic symbol, a guild perhaps or maybe just FLETCHERS bakery!

Don't know where it is but I think it's possible that it needs turning 90 dgrees?! (not sure which way) -

edit clockwise : the sheafs of arrows point downwards, and the ends of the 'ribbon' need to hang down as well

Indeed it is, difficult to remember what's been used, Sorry, but well spotted.

(Easily worked out from the sequentially numbered photos in Trip to Sheffield, it's around Hen & Chickens and the Haymarket and Waingate).

Indeed it is, difficult to remember what's been used, Sorry, but well spotted.

(Easily worked out from the sequentially numbered photos in Trip to Sheffield, it's around Hen & Chickens and the Haymarket and Waingate).

To the best of my knowledge, it has (the emblem) not been displayed on here before.

Is it on the water fountain at the old town hall? Already used it!

Sorry Tozzin, I did try to get you a good one for use in the RETRO

..or as common as arrows at the battle of Agincourt! lol

..or at the Battle of Hastings

What was it is first General said to him during an attack by Norman archers when a flight of arrows were coming towards him, -

"Keep your eye on that one Harold!" lol

..or as common as arrows at the battle of Agincourt! lol

..or at the Battle of Hastings

What was it is first General said to him during an attack by Norman archers when a flight of arrows were coming towards him, -

"Keep your eye on that one Harold!" lol

Now it's DAVE THE DIPLOMAT.

By mentioning both the Battle of Agincourt, - where we gave the French a good beating

and the Battle of Hastings, - where the French gave us a good beating

in adjacent posts I am unlikely to disgruntle our French friends and so preserve the entente cordiale

Clever eh! ;-)

Guest plain talker

I went to High Storrs.

Our school badge that was on our blazers was a sheaf of arrows (as per the insignia in the photograph at the top of the thread) over a triple-sheaf of corn.

I went to High Storrs.

Our school badge that was on our blazers was a sheaf of arrows (as per the insignia in the photograph at the top of the thread) over a triple-sheaf of corn.

If it was your school badge / emblem do you know anything more about it?

Where it comes from?

What it symbolises?

Why the school chose it?

It does seem to be quite a common local emblem so will have some local historical relevence.

Guest plain talker

I believe the insignia of the school badge was linked to the design of the coat of arms of the city, as High Storrs School was, IIRC, part of the old Central Technical school Leopold Street. (the High Storrs School old-boys'/ girls' society is called The Old Centralians" )

as I said above, the Sheaves have a number of links to the city. Sheaves of corn symbolising the "Sheaf-field" from where the city's name originates. I assume the sheaf of arrows alludes to the metal and cutlery industries (knives/ weapons perhaps?) - the article quoted below states that they represent the burgess of the city.

I don't know the symbolism of the colours of each half of the background (green and blue) or the symbolism of the numbers, the three Sheaves of corn, and twelve arrows.

this is a link to a replica of the Coat of arms of the City Of Sheffield:-

You can see the shield being held by Thor and Vulcan, both of whom were "metalsmiths to the gods", it is the shield they are holding which was the school badge.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/tourist-information/town-hall/coat-of-arms.html

The arms were granted to the Sheffield Borough Council on 16th July 1875, and subsequently to the present City Council on 1st September 1977.

The lion on the crest is taken from the Arms of the Dukes of Norfolk, lords of the manor of Sheffield; it appeared also in the Arms of the Talbot family, their predecessors in the lordship.

The sheaf of arrows was the main motif in the seals of the Burgery of Sheffield and the Twelve Capital Burgesses, the two bodies which bore the brunt of local government in Sheffield before the creation of the Borough.

The three wheatsheaves on a green field were probably chosen at the College of Arms as a play upon the name Sheffield which means "the open space by the River Sheaf".

The two supporters, Vulcan and Thor, were chosen for their aptness to represent a place whose prosperity is almost entirely founded on the working of metal. Thor on the left, the smith of the Scandinavian gods has his hand resting on a hammer, and Vulcan on the right, the smith of the Greek and Roman gods, is standing in front of an anvil and is holding a pair of pincers.

The motto (Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit) may be roughly translated as "With God's help our labour is successful".

I believe the insignia of the school badge was linked to the design of the coat of arms of the city, as High Storrs School was, IIRC, part of the old Central Technical school Leopold Street. (the High Storrs School old-boys'/ girls' society is called The Old Centralians" )

as I said above, the Sheaves have a number of links to the city. Sheaves of corn symbolising the "Sheaf-field" from where the city's name originates. I assume the sheaf of arrows alludes to the metal and cutlery industries (knives/ weapons perhaps?) - the article quoted below states that they represent the burgess of the city.

I don't know the symbolism of the colours of each half of the background (green and blue) or the symbolism of the numbers, the three Sheaves of corn, and twelve arrows.

this is a link to a replica of the Coat of arms of the City Of Sheffield:-

You can see the shield being held by Thor and Vulcan, both of whom were "metalsmiths to the gods", it is the shield they are holding which was the school badge.

https://www.sheffiel...at-of-arms.html

Thanks plaintalker

No wonder the design is so widespread locally, - it is part of the City coat of arms!